Have You Made Your own pick /Scratch Guard

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Have You Made Your own pick /Scratch Guard

Postby OLDEREK » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi I thought It was a great idea to make my own Scratch/ Pickguard, not knowing what colour I wanted or how many holes (8 or11) I gave it a lot of thought and decided on a Brass 8 hole for a 50s Strat..........How many hours I have spent on this I'll never know, but believe me it's one of the most boring long winded jobs I've ever done, but the finnished article looked good..........Until I left it for a couple of weeks and the brass had tarnished making it unuseable.............It's now at the Gold platers.......Maybe a lesson to be learnt here.........GET A READY MADE ONE :D :D :D

Have you had a go at making one , come on tell us about it......... :o
OLDEREK

Re: Have You Made Your own pick /Scratch Guard

Postby BarryH » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Made quite a few, all normal material though, some three ply but mostly single ply white.

You can get patterns for most scratchplates on the net and it's quite easy to make a template to use with a router. The places that sell small sheets tend to overprice them and, unless you buy larger sheets, it's getting as it's easier to buy ready made.

Cheers
Barry
BarryH

Postby ecca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 am

My Dad made me a scratchplate , brass and chromed, beautiful.
We played on the tele and I noticed in the studio that when I caught the light with it it blacked all the monitor screens out.
The technicians then sprayed the guitar ( Colorama) with a sort of wax which not only stopped the glare but damped all the strings, all the tone went.
Happy days.

jagtent.jpg
(301.12 KiB) Downloaded 7712 times
ecca

Postby keithmantle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:44 am

And a couple of nice stools !!!
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Derek. I did think about making one when I started to get the bits together for a Left Handed version of the black Strat that Hank used from the summer of 1972 up to late 1981. Finding the correct 5 ply material B/W/B/W/B for the pick guard proved to be a problem. I eventualy called WD Music UK who said no problem, our pick guard custom shop in the States will make you one. Six weeks later it arrived and its perfect. Same price as their standard pick guards no extra for a custom left handed one off job. Just incase you are thinking why didnt I get a black Fender pick guard, the reason is they dont do the five ply in any version, left or right handed.
So the answer to your question Derek is no, but I nearly did.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby OLDEREK » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:51 pm

I had a look around the internet sites last night that made Pickguards to order, and I think it's the best idea to let them make one for you, unless you can get a ready made one that suits you, below is how I started covering the brass with masking tape and drawing around a old pickguard......
PG 1.JPG
(25.28 KiB) Downloaded 7683 times
PG 2.JPG
Before Gold plating
(38.18 KiB) Downloaded 7683 times
OLDEREK

Postby ecca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:33 pm

keithmantle wrote:And a couple of nice stools !!!

The left hand Vox AC 15 is currently in the possession of Amanda and sounds fantastic, ask Robbo.
Mine, the one I'm sitting on was swapped for a record player in 1969 !
ecca

Return to Gear