Hank Marvin/Shadows Custom Shop Stratocasters

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank Marvin/Shadows Custom Shop Stratocasters

Postby Tone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Several months ago Ian Evans (Scouser Joe) mentioned on the "old" site that, in view of the frequent questions about, and interest shown in these guitars, he intended to publish a reference document setting out the specifications and providing illustrations to exhibition standard of the four main Hank Marvin & The Shadows Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition Stratocasters. The project was deferred until full details of the new Shadows 50th Anniversary Stratocaster became available and, as this guitar recently went on sale, the document is now complete and is available as a poster/print for viewing and download at:

http://www.mountain-images.co.uk/shadow ... facts.html

Although I have been heavily involved in, and have assisted Ian with the project since its inception and it is me that is posting this message, the concept, design and layout of the document are Ian's and he should take the lion's share of the credit for it.

We hope that members will find this document interesting and informative and it will, once and for all, provide a permanent and accurate resource for information on these instruments.

We are, of course, aware that other 'Signature' models of various kinds have been built and sold over the years, but we have chosen to review and document only the four principal Fender Stratocasters which were approved and fully endorsed by Hank Marvin and Fender.

The information has been collated through knowledge obtained by personal ownership, at some time, of all these guitars along with supporting evidence from commercial advertising of the models, specifications supplied by the Fender USA Custom Shop, commissioning Fender dealers here in the UK, commercial invoices and other evidence kindly supplied by individual model owners. We are most grateful to those who have supplied images and other information. Without their help this project would not have been possible.

Please read the notes on the model specifications, particularly relating to colours. We have spent a great deal of time getting the relativity between the colours correct. However no matter how much we try, specific colours will vary on individual screens. The printed version of the fact sheet displays colours which have been accurately matched to the relative guitars.

As advised above, the poster/print is freely available as a PDF download from Ian's commercial website at Mountain Images. You will need Adobe Acrobat installed to view the document.

Alternatively (or additionally) a high resolution printed copy, double A2 in size ( that's two sheets of paper 594mm x 420mm ) is also available for £10 plus £3.25 P&P. It would make a great wall poster and Xmas present for any Shadows fan !!

Remember .. you’ll see the Mountain Images’ logos when you go to order the printed version in the shop. The shop is easy to use and has a secure payment and processing system.

Finally, we recognise that, although we have included as much information as possible, there may be queries from members and, if so, we will do our best to answer them.

Cheers.

Tony
Last edited by Tone on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Re: Hank Marvin/Shadows Custom Shop Stratocasters

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Tony. What a super document. Very well laid out with fantastic photos. Congratulations to both Ian and yourself on a job very well done.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby David Martin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:09 pm

A scholarly piece of work indeed...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby barryg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:58 pm

That's an excellent and very informative document about these guitar. Well done guys.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby Tone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, chaps. A lot of time and effort went into this project and it's nice to know it's appreciated.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby ScouserJoe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:12 am

Hello Everyone,

I am very sorry to have to inform forum members that I have removed the pages on my website to which the link in the initial post in this thread is pointing and I have also withdrawn from distribution the free PDF file on these guitars to which it refers. The PDF file was posted on E-Bay as a selling aid as part of an item description for a £25,000 Hank Marvin 40th Anniversary guitar with total disregard to copyright law and in the absence of any permission granted by myself or the other people who contributed their time to this work. The offender has obviously obtained the information by means of a visit to one or other of The Shadows' forums because the webpage was not submitted to, nor ranked by any of the major search engines.

When challenged and requested to remove the appropriate section of the item description, the offender responded by saying that none of this publication was my work and he would continue to use it because anything on the internet it was free. There was no mention of an apology, no please or thank you; all I received was abuse and insults.

It is most disappointing that, though its misuse by one person, members can no longer benefit from all the hard work and time which was freely given in order to produce this guide. Sadly the attitude taken by the offender is typical of our times when people think they can take what they like and do what they like without any thought, consideration or respect for others.

However, that said, I am prepared to continue to make the printed version available if anyone wants to buy it. But, I am no longer prepared to produce it at cost, as I was in the past. The new price of £17.50 is now in line with other products I sell and is still good value when the quality of the print, and the work that has gone into it, is taken into consideration. Members should contact me using a personal message if they wish to purchase the printed version.

In conclusion, I would respectfully suggest that anyone interested in spending £25,000 might take into consideration my own experience when assessing the seller's integrity or the provenance of the item.

The image from the sampler page of my website is attached below for those who never got the opportunity to see it.
Attachments
shadows-stratocasters.jpg
(187.58 KiB) Downloaded 10908 times
ScouserJoe

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 am

What a shame...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby keithmantle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Ian, Pity there are still morons out there, have always appreciated your knowledge,05 still doing the 'BIZ' along with my 07/50th . Regards Keith
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby ScouserJoe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your support. Several people have complained to E-Bay and we are attempting to get the listing withdrawn. We're also trying to find out who the seller is, and who he is selling it on behalf of. If enough people complain, and we succeed in getting the listing removed, we will consider making the PDF available to members again through other means.
ScouserJoe

Postby chippy71 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 pm

did hank actually own the guitar or was it just on a long term loan to him?

neil
chippy71

Full Real Name: neil fletcher

Next

Return to Gear