New Squier Fiesta Red Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Squier Fiesta Red Strat

Postby RUSSET » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Martyn wrote:I'd welcome any updates on progress as you carry out any mods or adjustments plus your overall comparisons with any others you own or have access to.
It would similarly be great if you were able to record some samples using it, for us to hear how it sounds.

Oh no, Christmas approaches and I can feel similar purchasing twitches in the wallet department . . . :roll:

Cheers,
Martyn

Hi Martyn,
On first lookover, the tuners are good & turn really smoothly, the pickups, although a little bright (can be adjusted thru' judicious EQ twiddling) are fine, & the pots work OK as they should. The neck is superb & really comfortable. The downside is the bridge assembly. Although it is perfectly solid, & works OK at the moment, it is a typical Far East copy with a string to string width of 2 1/16", as opposed to the general vintage width of 2 3/16". The Trem block is the poor bit. It is a very thin cheap soft alloy casting, & the trem arm won't take long to start wobbling in the hole. I will try to find a better quality block; steel if I can get one to fit. My other option is to replace the whole bridge assembly with maybe a Jap version, which I have in my Spares box.
I believe the 'Biffy' model may well be a Ltd. edition, & is certainly only available in Europe, so if you really think you want one, it may be advisable to go for it sooner rather than later. I ordered mine over the phone at 9.15am on Monday morning from Dolphin Music. They had three in, but my mate who phoned on Tuesday found that they'd already sold out, & it will be the end of the month before they have any more in. I have a practise with the band tomorrow, so I will give it a road test. I'm not sure on how to record & post soundfiles on site, so I may have to give a written report on my results.
Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Martyn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:01 pm

Any further updates would be most welcome.
Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby RUSSET » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:26 am

Hi Martyn,
I haven't done any upgrades to the 'Biffy' Strat yet. I've lowered the bridge saddles a fraction & it has a really good low action now, with no fret buzz at all. I shall get my money's worth out of the existing strings, first, before I go messing with the bridge. I play mainly 'Rhythm' with my band, so I have no urgent need to get the upgrades done quickly. I have noticed that the body thickness is about 2mm thinner than your regular USA / Mex Strats, which may account for it's light weight. The great thing about it, apart from the nice price, is that it looks so good & well made. There's certainly no feeling that you have a budget range instrument. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price increase as retailers realise that it could be in great demand, as happened to the Mex 'Classic Player' series. I paid £360 for my 'CP', & within 12 months the price was up to as much as £440. I will report back when I have found the right Trem block with the right 2 1/16" string pitch, & correct screw threads to replace the existing. But, for the moment, it sounds great anyway, & I play it every day.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby David Martin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:41 am

Not sure if this was "tongue in cheek", but when one of the band members was asked about the origin of the name, he related that when the band was trying to come up with one, the person doing the "scribing" of possible names was using a promotional Cliff Richard ball point pen... so Cliffy Biro became Biffy Clyro...

Good band...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Stratpicker » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:03 am

Steel trem block are available for 2.1/16" spacing from Callaham via UK agents.
Be sure to e-mail them the guitar spec as there are more than a few variants - see website.
cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Amanda » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi,

Try Guitarfetish in the USA : http://store.guitarfetish.com/sosttrblfima.html
for a 2 1/16th tremblock.

Amanda
Last edited by Amanda on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby dave robinson » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I would recommend www.axesrus.com for a good budget trem block and gold hardware. I got a couple for Malc and I and they are great. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby neil2726 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:22 pm

AS Dave says Axerus are excellent . I got complete set Wilkinsons bridge saddles for my sons Tokia ( I can never spell it) strat for £8.00 inc p&p. Arrived within 2 days!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby RUSSET » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:11 am

I had thought about the Wilkinson Vintage style bridge unit which also sports the push-in arm & a steel block, but a friend of mine who bought a Wilkinson bridge says he couldn't get it to pivot properly, saying that the chamfer underneath the bridge plate was slightly in the wrong place; not quite central with the line of the screw centres. And the string pitch is stated as 2 1/8 - 2 3/16", not 2 1/16". Don't know if it would render it useless or not, but should I risk buying one & chance it ?

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby RUSSET » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Martyn,
I have just put a full size Steel Trem Block in the 'Biffy' Strat, & installed a new set of strings (10s) in it. It sounds great, & a lot fuller in tone. A lot of that may well be the new higher guage strings, but having a Steel block in which the Trem arm doesn't wobble loose is great. I got the block from a guitarist friend of mine who ordered it made from some guy that actually makes them himself, but I don't know him personally. The important thing seems to be to get the right measurements & screw threads, otherwise you have problems. The essential part for me was getting the right screw thread in the Trem arm socket, so that the existing arm would screw in OK. On the whole I am very pleased with the 'Biffy' purchase, especially the value for money with this excellent quality instrument.

Tony.
RUSSET

PreviousNext

Return to Gear