Fender Blues Junior - opinions?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Blues Junior - opinions?

Postby Martyn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:39 am

Thought I'd start a separate thread, rather than continue asking about this amp in the SuperChampXD thread I'd started.
I've posted this at Charlie Hall's site as well just to increase likely reponses:-

Still debating which amp to go for and because it's not an urgent need as I'd only use it once a month at Shadows Club meetings, I'm taking my time.

I'd recently been looking at the SuperchampXD as a possibility since that's received high praise here and at the Shadows Music forum, but I was a little concerned it may not have sufficient oomph without miking up through the PA. Most folk were intimating that's what they do for best results and I'm trying to avoid that option.

Now the Blues Junior's been suggested as an ideal small gigging amp that would suit my purposes. When I mentioned this to my local guitar shop techies, they said: " chalk & cheese - a no-brainer choice would be the Blues Junior every time for the better, larger speaker and just sheer power. You won't need to mike it and the overall tone's purer." Their words, not mine and one of them said he used one for years before just recently moving to a Blackstar.

Due to arthritis, light weight is vital and having tried to lift an AC30 recently it was immediately obvious I couldn't contemplate lifting one in or out of the boot of my car. My wrists just won't stand it, hence my search for an alternative.
I looked at a Tech21 PowerEngine 60 (solid state) because one of our members uses (and I've played through) a Trademark 60 amp. Neutral tone because it relies on your own pedals (TonelabST in my case and M/stomp) for the amp simulations etc., plenty of power and same sort of size and weight as the Blues Junior but rare as hen's teeth to find a used one.
Having been impressed by it, I'd still prefer a valve amp if at all possible.

So, if you're still with me and haven't dozed off ::), does anyone have experience of the Blues Junior in terms of volume/power and, equally important - tone? Does it do the business for Shads material or am I barking up the wrong tree hoping it might fit the bill?

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Re: Fender Blues Junior - opinions?

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:00 am

The Blues Junior is a great little amp and I'd like one of those too, but is heavier, has no effects, will not D.I. and costs twice as much as the Superchamp XD. The Superchamp XD sounds same as a Blues Junior in the Fender mode and has plenty of volume. It's only when you want to use the Vox sounds on the modeling chanel that you find that the clean volume is insufficient to work with a live band, as it's geared up for dirty sounds at a higher level.
:)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Martyn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:46 am

dave robinson wrote:The Blues Junior is a great little amp and I'd like one of those too, but is heavier, has no effects, will not D.I. and costs twice as much as the Superchamp XD. The Superchamp XD sounds same as a Blues Junior in the Fender mode and has plenty of volume. It's only when you want to use the Vox sounds on the modeling chanel that you find that the clean volume is insufficient to work with a live band, as it's geared up for dirty sounds at a higher level.
:)

So if I fed my TonelabST and Magicstomp through the non-modelling channel of the XD, would using the AC15/30 settings on the Tonelab reproduce correctly or would that conflict with the amp's natural tube sounds?
Martyn

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:53 am

Yes, but you can compensate by not using the tone controls on the amp too severely.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Martyn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 pm

OK, thanks for the excellent help and advice, as always. :)
Martyn

Postby bassgod » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:12 pm

I have a Blues Junior and a Pro Junior and they are excellent for Shads stuff. You will need to swop out the pre-amp valves from the stock Fender Groove tubes to something like Harmas or Philips JAN5751. With either of those it is virtually impossible to overdrive the amp thus giving huge amounts of clean headroom and a wonderful warm crystal clear sound. Of the two the Pro Jnr. has the sweetest tone and mine is equipped with a Weber speaker. I would put it up against a Vox anyday and for a 15watt amp it is exceptionally loud. The added bonus is it is light. I had an XD and it was OK but a Blues Jnr or Pro Jnr with the right valves in just blows it away....

Andy
bassgod

Postby keithmantle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Martyn, a Peavey classic 30 is what you need(mines for sale £295) couple of months old home use only,4xEL84swith 12AX7 driver and 2x12AX7s pre-amp, regards Keith, only reason for sale got myself a AC15 Heritage
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Martyn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:41 pm

keithmantle wrote:Hi Martyn, a Peavey classic 30 is what you need(mines for sale £295) couple of months old home use only,4xEL84swith 12AX7 driver and 2x12AX7s pre-amp, regards Keith, only reason for sale got myself a AC15 Heritage

So how do they compare? You've not had your Peavey long - so can I ask why the need for change after such a short period - what does the Peavey lack that made you opt for the Vox?

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:33 am

I had a tweed Blues Junior with alnico speaker as standard and it was wonderful for both Fender and Burns Shads sounds. I only sold it when I needed something to give me big rocky noises, and swapped it for a Mesa Express 5:25... I recommend it highly - with original valves too... Shads sounds are by no means completely clean!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby keithmantle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Martyn, Have sent you a PM, Keith
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Return to Gear