SuperChampXD for club use?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

SuperChampXD for club use?

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:25 am

For a while now I've been looking for an amp for Shadows Club monthly meets and wondered if this might fit the bill - presume it would need miking, though? I believe many speak highly of this little Fender amp but when studying its spec I noted it doesn't have a mid tone control, just treble and bass. Given that when I use my Tonelab's Vox AC15 or AC30 simulation at home, I tend to bring up the mids and cut back on treble and bass for certain traditional Shads tunes, would this be a problem on the XD because it doesn't have its own mid control? I wasn't planning on using the Tonelab through the Fender as it obviously already has its own valve amp sounds - just be using the Magicstomp for the echoes when live playing.
I like the New York-made Tech21 PowerEngine 60 (one of our members has the Trademark 60 version with all the bells & whistles), but they rarely crop up used and are quite pricey new. The appeal of the Power Engine is being merely an amp with a simple three band equaliser and no other effects or simulations so doesn't colour the tones put through it, just amplifies it (I had a VoxAD60VT but it had problems so that's gone now).
Whilst I can plug into various club members' Vox AC30s, 15s etc that are always available, I'm doing so using those members' own effects pedals as they're already set up and rather than faff about trying to use mine and disrupt proceedings, generally am content just to use what's available. However I'd really prefer to have control of all my own sounds - hence the debate regarding buying a suitable amp to take along and thus feel more confident with my own equipment and its familiar settings. It's only once a month so I have to consider if it's worth the bother, but any advice or maybe suggestions for alternatives would be most welcome.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Re: SuperChampXD for club use?

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:48 am

This is a great little amp and I use one on solo gigs, either miked up or D.I'd. True enough it has no mid control but the tones are perfect and it's difficult to get a bad sound with it.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Martyn,

I recently purchased a SuperChampXD and it's superb. I have difficulty lifting my AC15 into the car, so this is the business weight wise.

My normal rig would comprise a 3u rack with Samson SR55 (rack Airline), Korg tuner and Atlantis along with a custom AC15 amp. At rehearsals, I take the XD and Magicstomp and even with my guitar, I can carry them all in two hands, but more importantly, it's a great sound and stands on it's own (albeit almost flat out) when playing with the rest of the band.

It comes highly recommended imho.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Whilst researching this amp, I stumbled across much discussion and debate about changing the XD's speaker, the valves and a lot more besides and it strikes me as odd to buy something and then spend lots of money replacing so many of its components - I'd have thought they'd have more usefully spent the combined financial outlay on something that already had the relevant parts fitted, namely a different amp. I think some felt the speaker wasn't man enough without distorting at less than best volume levels and different valves would also overcome other issues but do I take it you're using the amp pretty much as it came, without having to change things, and getting good results - do you think the amp is fine as it is?

I have arthritic joints so am also looking for a lighter amp than the AC30s etc - tried lifting one recently and the pain was excrutiating. Isn't age wonderful . . . :(

Thanks for the replies,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm pretty sure that you could upgrade various components to make it 'better', but imo for what I'm using it for, I don't need to and I don't think Robbo upgraded his either, we're more than happy with the sound.

If I play at volume (with the band), I use the Fender channel (as opposed to the 'voiced' channel) and it's distortion free. On the other channel, you have to be careful with the 'gain' settings to control the distortion levels.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Ok - this probably looks to be a good purchase for me.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:53 pm

We usually have two Super Champ XDs at ShadowMusic South-East, one powered by EFTP and the other by SLTS (both on the Magicstomp).

This month, Spence and I "upgraded" to a couple of 22w valve amps (the Mesa-Boogie Studio 22 and a Reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb), but to be honest, the sound was no different. We've used them in relatively small rooms though - we'd need to mike up (or bring bigger amps) for a larger room - or maybe with a full band rather than BTs.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:08 am

I often attend club meetings in a 40 people room, and a 15W amp such as the Vox AD15-VT is loud enough to play with a real drummer (a 5W Harley-Benton GA5 wasn't).
So a valve amp such as the Fender Super Champ XD should be loud enough in the same kind of room.

The weak point of budget amps is always the speaker, I have tested a Celestion G10 Vintage on a Vox Cambridge 30, and the amp becomes much louder than with the original 10" Bulldod speaker.

Some people made the same kind of swap, replacing the 10" original spearker of a Super Champ XD with a 10" Eminence Ragin Cajun and reports good results.

On this pic found on the net, you can see both speakers, showing the much bigger magnet on the Ragin Cajun speaker :

So if you buy a Fender Super Champ XP and find out that it needs to be boosted, you'll know the way to go.
The only drawback is that the Eminence speaker is heavier than the original one...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:42 am

I upgraded the speaker in my Superchamp XD because I realised that there could be a big improvement, but the original speaker is fine for normal home or small gig use. I often use mine at a 2000 seater venue similar to Lakeside (Club Tropicana) with a microphone in front of it whilst working with a live band and it is superb and plenty loud enough. When using the D.I. it is equally good and actually sounds the same, providing that the desk is set correctly, so I don't think the speaker really needs to be changed. : :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby neil2726 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I have a Super Champ but have just purchased a Fender FM65R off E Bay. Solid state I know , but a nice clear tone and 65watts - and light to carry. A good amp for rhythm players!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Next

Return to Gear