Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in Burns Marque?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in Burns Marque?

Postby franklin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi there

I have SSL-1 in my Strat at neck/mid and they are great, but.....will they sound good in a Marque???

Best
Franklin
franklin

Re: Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in Burns Marque?

Postby JimN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:31 am

Hi, Franklin,

The suppllied pickups in the Marquee definitely have their own characteristic sound (some people would say that they're a bit harsh), so any modification with a standard pickup (with more middle and bass response) is bound to be something of an improvement. I too have toyed with the idea of fitting better pickups to my rosewood-fretboard Marquee (perhaps some Jim Cairns Rez-o-Matik-alikes...).

Se you at Tilburg (again)?

I think it's my round this time...

Best wishes,

JimN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:25 am

franklin wrote:Hi there

I have SSL-1 in my Strat at neck/mid and they are great, but.....will they sound good in a Marque???

Best
Franklin

Cant you swap it over from your strat to try it first? Thats what I'd do around a string change time 8-)
You might find you prefer the Burns original, and your mind would be at rest ;)
Bluesnote

Postby David Martin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

I fitted Kinman Classic Hank PUs (now discontinued) to my Marquee... big improvement. Now in the hands of Martcaster Jr...

Then I wrote and recorded this (very non - Shads tune) lots of distortion and harmony lead parts (and far too long!!)

Recognise the backing track?

;)
Attachments
Flight of The Condor.mp3
(3.77 MiB) Downloaded 813 times
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ernie1958 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 am

franklin wrote:Hi there

Best
Franklin

8-) Hi Franklin,
Basically, anything else than the stock pups that come in the Marquee are surely an improvement,considering the replacement pups
are of a good quality.I myself swapped out the crappy stock pups for a set of "Apache" Rez-o-Matik pups which I ordered from
Burns Guitars London( to keep my Marquee "fully Burns",if you know what I mean)....very noticeable sound improvement!

Good luck and cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby franklin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for your reply
I'll try the SSL-1 and let you know. :)
Regards
Franklin
franklin

Return to Gear