Blues junior Valve replacement

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Blues junior Valve replacement

Postby keithmantle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi All , I have recently replaced the 3x12AX7's with AY7's (cleaner tone at higher volume), would this cause any problems (2003 BJ) ?
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Re: Blues junior Valve replacement

Postby rogera » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:19 pm

No it would give no problems apart from the amp having less gain but more headroom (as you said).
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby keithmantle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks Roger, I had been told to only use a AY7 in the V1 position, but i think it would only be beneficial for 'blues players', I'll trust your knowledge and leave the 3 AY7's in, Regards Keith
keithmantle

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Keith

As far as I know the popular thing is to put a lower gain replacement in the V1 pos only and that makes it a more bluesy sound I understand I do not think anything to be gained replacing all 12AX7s with lower gain types as you will lose volume in the end. Popular one is a 5157 Jan in V1 reduces gain to about 70% on a 12AX7. This is what a lot of people tend to do. However having all 3 valves changed will not affect the amp at all just a lot less gain in the stages and therefore less volume output as Roger Allcock stated.

HTH
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby keithmantle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Rog, I've put Ay7's in V1 and V3 phase inverter, on the Billm site it says these 2 will give cleaner darker tone than a AX7 at higher volume and should cause no problems
keithmantle

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Keith is it a balanced triode valve for the inverter ? these are usually the ones to get for that V3 pos.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby keithmantle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:21 pm

According to Billm the std 12AY7 or 5171 can be used in the P/i position, The E/Harmx EL84's are balanced, I did try it as you advised with just 1 AY7 in V1 but i couldn't really say there was much difference (deafness has this effect) so will have to wait for next hankies meet for good ears to comment !!. It also states half the gain (AY7) valves does not mean half the volume, just that distortion doesn't kick in until much higher vol, ie level 8 AY7 level 4 AX7
keithmantle

Return to Gear