The Ventures' sound - this is how I used to do it...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: The Ventures' sound - this is how I used to do it...

Postby keithmantle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:08 pm

No ,Its Peter Maranello !!
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby geoff1711 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Or you could always buy one of these

http://hallmarkguitars.com/guitars/60-custom.htm

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:48 am

geoff1711 wrote:Or you could always buy one of these

http://hallmarkguitars.com/guitars/60-custom.htm

Geoff

I was talking to the (current) maker at the Guitar Geeks' Festival last month. They're not cheap, Geoff!

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby abel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 am

Hi Jim,

Superb picks.
Any recordings of the group?.

Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 am

abel wrote:Hi Jim,
Superb picks.
Any recordings of the group?.
Abel

Hi, Abel,

There were some recordings, some made at Radio Merseyside, some made at Tin Pan Alley Studios in Denmark Street, Soho, and some made by one-time BBC producer Ian Grant at the Nashville Room in West London (for BBC Radio 2). At the time, though, the only sound-carriers of quality were the vinyl disc or (expensive) reel-to-reel tape systems. We certainly never had a disc pressed and although the recordings were made onto tape, I had no way of obtaining or maintaining a copy of them. Decent quality stereo cassette was only just about to become available, and I doubt I'd have been able to afford it even had I known of its existence.

Over the years, I've made several attempts to source the BBC recordings (which made for insert into a local C&W programme), but they are apparently missing from the archive. The later top man at Radio Merseyside (he must be retired now) was the producer/engineer on those recordings and some time during the 1980s, he told me that he thought a particular radio presenter had the locally-recorded country music archive at his home, but I never managed to contact him. This was before the internet, of course. Perhaps bassist Bobby (who had these pictures) knows more about it. I'd love to get hold of copies, it goes without saying.

Best wishes,

JimN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:18 am

[quote="Bruce Cramley"]Hi Bill,

Slightly off topic here, but were you referring to "Wilson's Capitol Music Store" in Pitt St, Central, around the corner from the Capitol Theatre?

Bruce,

That's the one! Go down the ramp at Central and cross over to the left! My first stop on my Saturday morning trip to the city, then around to the Triumph motorcycle showroom to see what I couldn't afford. Some good staff in there (Wilson's)back then, I had my first Strat refretted by them ( even though they weren't Fender agents). I was always interested in the various 'other' guitars that they had on display, Duane Eddy signature Guild was one I remember. I used to buy my 'Black Dimaond 'strings there.

Another legend that has disappeared without a trace - last time I looked it was a Chinese supermarket.

Regards:roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby neil2726 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Jim

The country music presenter from Radio Merseyside would I think be Kenny Johnson who still does the show. He does have a vast collection of country music at his home. Kenny has been doing the show since the early 70s, so you can get in touch via Radio Merseyside.
Kenny was lead singer with Sonny Webb and the Cascades who became The HIllsiders , Britains top country music act, who did alot of work with George Hamilton IV on tours and TV. They were the only British group to appear at the Grand Old Oprey, and were Polydor recording artists. Kenny left the band in the 70s and formed his own band Kenny Johnson and Northwind. I believe he still does gigs with his wife as a duo.

Neil
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby geoff1711 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi Jim

depending on which one $900 or $1500 so you're right not cheap, having said that the latest guitars to carry the Mosrite brand around £3500 according to some recent searches I did.

.Having bought the Aria the other week I also ordered an Eastwood Sidejack, I'm not uite sure why because the Aria DM-380 is really good, just impulse although the Eastwood looks good with bound body and neck, black finish with gold hardware

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi all.
I have only just read the post 6 from Bill, how does the sound of the Mosrite compare to the Burns Marvin, Well Bill I dont own a Mosrite or a Burns Marvin.
What I do have is a Burns Legend, made in the Burns London custom shop for me a few years ago. I also have a double LP of the Ventures from the Legendary Masters series. Twenty eight tracks of Ventures sound.
If I plug the Burns into my sons EBS Dynaverb then go into his SWR Super Redhead bass amp, pull out the tone coil tap on the Burns and play on the bridge pickup you have an instant Ventures sound. If you know the track Bulldog this is the sound I get with the Burns. I cant get the same sound with my AC30 or AC15 so I guess its the bass amp plus a bit of reverb.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:So, how does the sound of a Mosrite compare with a BURNS Marvin? Mmmmmmmmmmmm :roll:

Great drumming by Mel Taylor... Gretsch like Tony!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

PreviousNext

Return to Gear