The safe way to change valves?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

The safe way to change valves?

Postby Fiesta red » 17 Feb 2012, 10:57

After reading the previous thread about new valves and possible electrocution. Can the experts here give some advice on how to change amp valves? I am sure many of us would benefit from good sound advice (pardon the pun).. My first question is,leaving the amp plugged in but switched off,does this earth the amp? Do I need to wear my wellingtons whilst caring out the procedure? lol
Ken...
Fiesta red

Full Real Name: Ken Bowler

Re: The safe way to change valves?

Postby keithmantle » 17 Feb 2012, 11:22

Hi Ken, I always unplug my amps and leave for 30 mins before a valve change, one point wear plastic/rubber gloves as oil in the skin can be transferred to valve glass and can cause cracking/breaking, don't replace back panel until the amp is tried out, and don't start poking fingers in/around while amp is still switched on for any reason !!.
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby leddo » 17 Feb 2012, 11:55

And always always always give the valves plenty of time to cool down before you touch/change them. I found this one out the hard way. Ouch.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby RogerCook » 17 Feb 2012, 14:10

Good advice above. Valves do get hot and amps often do retain a high voltage after they've been switched off. However unless you touch the exposed metal pins on the bottom of the valve while they are still in contact with the socket you won't be in exposed to that.

When removing a valve try to pull it out straight with only the minimum of wiggle to get it free. When you install new ones make sure all the pins are straight and that you line them up with the appropriate pattern on the valve holder (trickier with skirted valve holders) or you could end up with bent/broken pins and the valve connected wrongly. Push them in firmly so the pins are fully home and replace any retaining clips and screen cans.

If in doubt take it to an amp tech

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Fiesta red » 18 Feb 2012, 10:44

To the above,thanks for your advice. Ken..
Fiesta red

Full Real Name: Ken Bowler

Return to Gear