tri-sonic pickups in marquee

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: tri-sonic pickups in marquee

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am

'Roach,

Aha, so therin lies my misguidance regarding Trisonics - I saw a few early Burns around with Trisonics in the early days (Vista-Sonics)but never heard them really until I played a 'sample' build BURNS Brian May Red thing three years ago, but it was through a Traynor amp. :roll:
Bill Bowley

Re: tri-sonic pickups in marquee

Postby geoff1711 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm not sure about this, and somebody will probably put me right but.........

I think the magnetic field runs in a different direction on these pickups, unless the magnets are made in a long bar with it's polarity running from one end to the other about 3" X 1/2" and slices of about 1/4" cut off then the field runs horizontally under the strings rather than vertically.

Now given that different magnetic materials in regular single coils give different sounds, turning the field through 90 degrees and enclosing it in a metal case will certainly make a difference, and the wider the pickup will make it's sound more rounded.

A P90 is a single coil pickup but it's characteristics in build design and sound is completely different and the TriSonics are more like narrow P90s than the single coil pickups originally designed by Fender.

Geoff
geoff1711

Previous

Return to Gear