burns mark 8 tremolo

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

burns mark 8 tremolo

Postby kipper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:43 pm

hi all i have just brought an eastwoods sidejack deluxe used condition, mosrite type copy. its a nice guitar the only problam is the burns mark 8 tremolo.
the lever slides onto a spinless shaft so has to be tightened really tight and even then it slips anyone got or heard of a fix for this please theres just to much play for it to work well. i was thinking of drilling it and putting a pin in. any ideas welcome. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Re: burns mark 8 tremolo

Postby JimN » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 am

You did say "any ideas", didn't you?

Here's one: scrap that unit (keep the arm, it might come in handy) and buy and install a short Bigsby ("Horseshoe" model) instead. You can get generic versions for about £30 - £40. MILES better..

JN (one who also bought a guitar with one of those "Burns" tremolos fitted).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ecca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:33 am

Fibre washers ?

Put some photos up Kip.
ecca

Postby kipper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 am

heres a picture i will try a better one if its no good.
Attachments
s_MLB_v_F_f_215368205_2637 burns.jpg
s_MLB_v_F_f_215368205_2637 burns.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 9988 times
kipper

Postby kipper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 am

jim thanks i`ll take a look at them. peter
kipper

Postby kipper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:48 am

here`s abetter picture. peter
Attachments
mark 8 002.JPG
(249.46 KiB) Downloaded 8768 times
kipper

Postby ecca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:10 am

Have you tried extra washer(s) Peter ?
How about re-engineering it by filling and drill/reaming the hole out for a better fit ?
ecca

Postby kipper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:47 am

the problam seems to be on the shaft its just smooth no grooves to grip the coller. the coller slides over the shaft and as they are both smooth it slips. it needs a key in there something like that. the lever is ok. peter
kipper

Postby kipper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 pm

JimN wrote:You did say "any ideas", didn't you?

Here's one: scrap that unit (keep the arm, it might come in handy) and buy and install a short Bigsby ("Horseshoe" model) instead. You can get generic versions for about £30 - £40. MILES better..

JN (one who also bought a guitar with one of those "Burns" tremolos fitted).

jim can i asked where you brought yours please, been looking at the trem again and i dont think its just slipping on the shaft i think its just a bad design. peter
kipper

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Kipper,

The design of the section where the arm 'mounting' attatches to the cross shaft is the same as the set up on the Burns Marvin and any other Burns using the RezoTube trem sysytem, so I would suggest that a few simple modifications to a possibly 'badly manufactured' item would solve your problem cheaper than a full replacement with another design(I have never had any problem with a Marvin arm slipping). Perhaps the unit was manufactured with a less than the required width 'adjustment gap' on the 'grip ring'. I would suggest that you remove it, remove the tightening screw and using some metalwork tools widen the gap, which on reassembly would then allow the clamping ring to exert enough pressure to 'stay still' and not slip. If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure that a small amount of 'readies' would get it done by a local engineering firm.
There is of course the possibility that the gap is correct, but the internal diamer of the grip ring is oversize (or the shaft undersized), that would require internal shimming at the very least.

Another possibility is too much pressure on the spring, possibly adjusted too far.

That's my 'long distance' best guess at a solution anyway (what I would do), hope it helps.

Regards
Attachments
Mk8.jpg
(24.69 KiB) Downloaded 8664 times
Bill Bowley

Return to Gear