I bought my first Stratocaster !

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

I bought my first Stratocaster !

Postby donna plasky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:00 am

Hi, everybody. I have just arrived home from the Sam Ash Music Store where I purchased my very first electric guitar - a black Squire Stratocaster. Below is an image of the store's advertisement and the written specs. I have not even opened up the box yet...I just wanted to tell you, because I am so excited about it. This is probably a low-quality guitar, but it seemed like a tremendous value for the price...and since I cannot play guitar yet any way, I won't even know the difference!

My sincere thanks to the following ShadowMusic members for their encouragement: Jiggers, Tim, Buckshot, and Cockroach. Without you, I would not have summoned up the courage to do this.

Squier SE Special Stratocaster Electric Guitar Package
Color choices: Black, White, Sunburst (I bought Black, as shown in the ad)
Sale price $199.99 (approx. £127 or €148)
List price $349.99 (approx. £222 or €259)

• Agathis body, Maple C shape neck, Rosewood fingerboard w/22 medium jumbo frets
• 3 single coil pickups, Synchronous tremolo, Die-Cast tuners
• SP-10 practice amp with tone control and headphone output
• Includes gig bag, strap, DVD, cable, tuner, picks

SquireStratPkg.png
SquireStratPkg.png (85.42 KiB) Viewed 6009 times

Best wishes,
Donna
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Re: I bought my first Stratocaster !

Postby Bluesnote » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 am

Nice one Donna.
There's nothing wrong with Squiers. Brilliant value for the money and you will love it once you get started.
Its probably a Squier Bullet you have, which is the one I've got, and with a bit of tinkering, it can be made into a pretty high end instrument and you'll get a really good sound and playability out of it eventually. Not sure about the body wood though, mine is basswood, maybe they changed the wood since I got mine(two years ago).
You will get great advice on here from all the members I'm sure.
You should check out Rosemary's progress over the last couple of years of playing by listening to her videos 8-)
They will give you some encouragment for sure.
You should maybe try to find a good teacher to get you off to a good start.
I did'nt, but in my day they were pretty thin on the ground and where I stayed they were non-existant altogether.
I'd have come on a lot better had I done this at the start.
They can pick up on any bad habits you have right at the start and point you in the right direction, and save you a lot of time in the future having to re-learn stuff all over again.
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby RUSSET » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:48 am

Well done, Donna. We all have to start somewhere, & Squier do a great range of guitars at reasonable prices for beginners to learn on. Hugh, I believe what Donna has is the Squier SE Strat series, which I guess means Student Edition. The Bullet series is a different range altogether. Squier do seem to make so many different ranges(qualities ?) these days; it becomes a bit confusing. If you go to the SQUIER-TALK forum website you can get an amazing amount of info on all sorts of Squier models from way back right up to present times. I myself have been buying nothing but Squier 'Classic Vibe' Series instruments over the past three years (Two guitars & a Bass), although I have already got several actual Fender models. I find this top of the range CV series to be virtually as good as most of the lower priced Fender ranges, certainly equalling the Mexico made models in quality of build. I've never had to upgrade the pickups & only had to change the trem block & arm on my Squier Simon Neil Sign. Strat to replace the cheap soft metal alloy with a Steel one. Don't write Squier off as simply another budget guitar maker. They do some surprisingly good quality guitars & basses.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby ecca » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 am

Good gel !
ecca

Postby keithmantle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 am

Greatest journey starts with one step !. Welcome and enjoy.
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Rosemary » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Donna
That's fantastic and very exciting news! As Hugh mentioned, I started playing just over 18 months ago and am having lots of fun with it while making progress. It's great to see other women playing Shadows music too.

Enjoy your new Squier! From all the reports I've heard, they're excellent guitars!

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Didier » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 am

Watch here what can be done with a Squier :

The model used by Christian (a member of our Shads' French forum) is a Squier Classic Vibe '50.

Didier
Last edited by Didier on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:22 am

Good luck Donna and enjoy your new Squier, at the end of the day it's the player that makes the music, whatever the instrument value.When I occasionally played with Mark Griffiths, he always used a Squier Strat, he actually collects them. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Gear