Pots and Caps.

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Pots and Caps.

Postby Bluesnote » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:57 am

I'm guessing this will have been mentioned on here before at sometime.
Has anyone changed their pots and caps on their guitars? and if so, did it make any great difference to your sound.
I've been reading in another site that this can help the sound of the guitar immensly, I'm just wondering what your take on it is before I disintigrate my guitar and find out its not worth the bother :o
If you have and found it worthwhile, what is the best ones to get. I read that you should use 250k for single coil and 500k for humbuckers, just wondering what the best quality is out there and where best to purchase?
Thanks....Hugh.
Bluesnote

Re: Pots and Caps.

Postby ecca » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:05 am

Do it and try it Hugh..... and then you'll know.
Axesrus are as good as anyone.
Unless you're violining they're all pretty well the same.
I fitted a proper, larger diameter Fender volume pot to Cakey and Malcolm for that reason.
The smaller the track diameter the sooner they'll wear out.

Cheeroles !
Ecca
ecca

Postby Bluesnote » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks ecca. I do do a lot of violining as it happens. That was one of my main concerns.
I'll check them out today 8-)
Bluesnote

Postby ecca » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:24 am

ecca

Postby Bluesnote » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks ecca. I went into a guitar repair shop this morning and asked about it. They were very negative about the outcome of changing the pots and caps unless they were faulty. So now I'm not sure if its worth the hassle :? That was basically why I asked in here about it to see if some of you guys that have played most of your lives like myself and had done it and been pleased with the results.
I also asked them if they did the screws for the scratchplate and back plate for guitars. 50 friggin pence each :o I told them thanks but no thanks as it looked just fine without the backplate anyway.
Incidentaly, they sell guitars and amps too and there was an old Hofner guitar on the wall for sale, it was the exact same one I had(V2/V3?) in the sixties as my first electric. Mine cost 48 pounds 10 shillings, theirs cost £588.00 :shock: I should'a kept mine instead of trading it in as I only got buttons for it anyway :roll: Maybe it was mine, who knows.
Bluesnote

Postby RUSSET » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Yep, my first electric was a Hofner V3 (3 pickups) back in 1962. I can't believe that it is now valued at over £500 ! They're 'avin a larf, aren't they ? To be frank, I was happy to part exchange mine for a Burns Vista Sonic, in White, & get rid of the old Hofner cheese-cutter.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Bluesnote » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Yeah, dont get it myself. It was'nt in that great a condition either, and I cant see anyone thinking that it would be a good investment for the future.
Must check out some sites and see if that really is the going rate for one. It would have been 1963 I bought mine. I think a Strat at that time was around £150.
This was the one I saw, it was'nt the V series. Mine was the same except it only had two pickups.
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/ ... gal88.html
http://www.daydreamguitars.com/enlarge. ... ER+SOLID+3

Mine was red like this one too. I wanted it to look like Hanks at the time :roll:
Too poor to afford the real thing and no silver spoon upbringing with rich daddy :D
That trem was a bugger to use too and kept going loose, then the spring disintigrated whilst emulating the great man.
Bluesnote

Postby RUSSET » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:13 pm

This is similar to the Hofner V3 that I had around 1962/63 : http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/ ... ga143.html
I think those Red Super Solids eventually morphed into the Galaxy series. Yes, I seem to remember Strats were on sale in B'ham stores for £160.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Graylion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Bluesnote - don't believe that myth about things being cheaper in the 1960s! As the old song goes - "It ain't necessarily so" (and Jonah - he DID live in a whale, but I digress!). £48.10s in 1963 is about £840 in today's money!!! So don't feel too bad about letting it go! The Strat was £168 in 1962 (and 1963) which is equivalent to about £3,027 today!! :shock: Eye-watering when you were only earning the equivalent of £450 per month like I was!! (£25 actual). So in fact the Hofner isn't a great investment after all as it hasn't kept pace with inflation. Now gold on the other hand...... :lol: !
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:38 am

Yeah I suppose when you think about it you are right. And the Hofner was'nt even a high up the range instrument either.
I also remember my Copycat echo unit cost me £38.10s around that time too.
Bluesnote

Next

Return to Gear