J-200 Bargain

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

J-200 Bargain

Postby BrianD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I have several acoustic guitars including a couple of National Resonators and a couple of Patrick James Eggle 6 and 12 strings - all of which cost the high side of £2k. They are all great guitars and I love playing them but sometimes I go to environments where I am reluctant to take any of them - for example when I am on a yachting cruise and the guitar will be brought out for sing-songs at beach parties and such like. I have therefore long been looking for a guitar which didn't cost too much but nevertheless still played well and sounded good. I tried many but usually found that after a few sessions they would remain in the case and then be sold off. Recently, however, I found the answer to my prayer - a superb J-200 for just £259!!! :D
It wasn't a Gibson, however, it was an Epiphone - http://www.guitar-village.co.uk/product ... 1046&c=152

I was interested to see how this guitar compared to the "real thing" and also tried a Gibson J200 in the same store- absolutely stunning but at a whisker under £3400 - http://www.guitar-village.co.uk/product ... 9744&c=150 :mrgreen: it didn't meet my requirements for a low-cost beach party guitar. :( It was interesting to compare these two very similar guitars and I have to say the Epi stands up very well. Of course I could hear and feel the difference but not IMHO £3000 worth of difference. I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending an Epi J200 to anyone looking for this type of guitar at a good price. One point I would make, however, I tried a couple of similar Epiphones in another store, not a million miles from Guildford, and they didn't imediately hit the spot as they both needed setting up. The one I bought was marked down as ex-demo and had clearly been set up very well and I wasn't concerned about the one small ding in the finish - it will probably suffer many more in the years ahead!! ;)

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Re: J-200 Bargain

Postby dave robinson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I did the same test Brian, sorry I can't agree, they are chalk and cheese in every way. The Epiphone is cheap and sounds cheap when recorded and compared with the Gibson - I know because I did the test back in 2002 when I too owned the Epiphone and compared them and bought the real thing.
It is possible I suppose that you picked up a rare gem, but I have yet to find one that comes close when visiting music stores that have them in stock.
I'm off down to our new store tonight as I have been invited to a Bose L1 demo, the shop stocks all Martin, Taylor, Gibson and Washburn high end guitars as well as some Epihones, so if I get the chance we'll see if a demo can be arranged in front of the invited audience, should be interesting. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby BrianD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Dave,

I appreciate your comments. Do bear in mind the criteria I specified. The guitar I have bought is going to be left on a sailing yacht for ready access when away over weekends and, in a year or two, be out in the heat of the Med, again left on the boat for periods. That is certainly no way I would treat a Gibby, or any of my other acoustics. Nevertheless, the example I have bought, certainly plays much better than any other cheap guitar I have tried and certainly doesn't disgrace itself acoustically. I have no intention of micing it up or amplifying it.

Certainly, when I tried the genuine Gibson J-200 the sound was much smoother, warmer and altogether more aristocratic - but I should hope so given the price diferential. I stand by my original comments and say the for sub £300 teh Epi is a very acceptable instrument - providing it has been properly set up.

Brian
BrianD

Postby JimN » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi, Brian,

Does that Epiphone have the piezo pickup built in?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby BrianD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:51 pm

No, Jim. Just straight acoustic. My PJEs and Nationals all have pick-ups but, as I said earlier, this guitar will be my boat/beach guitar. It certainly has some volume as a straight acoustic.

Brian
BrianD

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I too went down the Jumbo route, Epiphone, Tokai and the Gibson (albeit a J185) and nothing comes close to the real thing. I would even rate the Tokai above the Epi, but the colour was too orangey for my liking. I then bought the Hank Marvin Fender acoustic for much the same reason as Brian, one that I could play and not worry about possible damage, but as good as it was, it didn't come near the Gibson, so it was sold as well. If the Gibson gets damaged, I'd just buy another because their sound is just so superior imho.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Return to Gear