new strat help required

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: new strat help required

Postby AlanMcKillop » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:05 pm

I'd go along with the MIM Classic Player strat 50's series, a great sounding guitar with a helpful 9.5 neck radius. Mine was in Sunburst, but Ian Harper transformed it into a lovely shade of Fiesta Red .......... and all for a little over £300 in total. :D
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby RUSSET » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm

You can still get the USA Vintage Reissues, but they are now around £1,200 RRP, & very good they are too. But a Classic Player series model at around £400-450 is 90% of they way there for a third of the price. The 'Classic' series '50s Strat in F.Red is also very good, but only has the basic generic ( non-Fender ?) alnico pickups, although it gets you in the right ballpark. Depends really on how much you want to invest.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby sixtiesman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

I can't resist the mex endorsement. I have a "special edition" fiesta red mex ( probably a classic 50's ). I put a wilkinson trem on it and some custom 54's and it's very shadows. I have several other American expensive strats but this one does it for me. After years of "struggling" with a jap you might be disappointed with the current American model?
sixtiesman

Full Real Name: clive tallon

Postby spanner3566 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks, I will check out the MIM Classic Player strat at the weekend.
The HM jap strat has produce more smiles and grins from me than any other guitar.
Despite the neck and iffy pots. Ok its needs better pickups but I have had FUN and been inspired.

Regards

Mark
spanner3566

Postby John » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:57 am

I also have a MIM 50's classic only in Buddy Holly sunburst, once it had a set up (carried out at the shop at no extra charge) I can not rate it highly enough, the only changes I have made is to have a white graphite nut fitted and changed the white single ply scratch plate for a parchment single ply scratch plate to match the pick up covers

I dont think you would be disapointed
happy hunting John
John

Previous

Return to Gear