guitar to effects or amp??

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: guitar to effects or amp??

Postby ernie1958 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:15 pm

dave robinson wrote:My own stage set up is as follows, ; Guitar /Volume Pedal / Magicstomp Small Compressor / Echo Unit / Amplifier. I threw the Ariab/Cutting Edge in the bin as my amplifier does the job.

When recording I remove the Volume Pedal and only use the Compressor on certain tracks e.g Atlantis, Foot Tapper.

8-) Hey Dave...is the compressor a vital tool actually needed to create a true Shads sound? I mean..did Hank use one back in the early days and
still does nowadays to specify his sound or what? I think I read something about that somewhere but I'm not quite sure coz I've never seen a real
confirmation on that matter.My setup is the same as yours only without the compressor,so maybe that's the missing link for me probably.

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby ernie1958 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:31 am

Bump.. :eh:
ernie1958

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

ernie1958 wrote:
dave robinson wrote:My own stage set up is as follows, ; Guitar /Volume Pedal / Magicstomp Small Compressor / Echo Unit / Amplifier. I threw the Ariab/Cutting Edge in the bin as my amplifier does the job.

When recording I remove the Volume Pedal and only use the Compressor on certain tracks e.g Atlantis, Foot Tapper.

8-) Hey Dave...is the compressor a vital tool actually needed to create a true Shads sound? I mean..did Hank use one back in the early days and
still does nowadays to specify his sound or what? I think I read something about that somewhere but I'm not quite sure coz I've never seen a real
confirmation on that matter.My setup is the same as yours only without the compressor,so maybe that's the missing link for me probably.

Cheers,
Ernie

Hank didn't use a compressor as they didn't exist in pedal form at that time, but the studio engineer certainly did. I only use one on certain tunes, but it is NOT an essential tool in the normal scheme of things. You can do more harm to the sound than good, if the compressor isn't used correctly. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Previous

Return to Gear