VOX Hiss

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: VOX Hiss

Postby Amanda » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi,

Try turning the gain control up, that should do it,

I had the problem with my Samson, it depends on pickup output level
and also guitar settings, to clean my signal up i had to turn the
control up full!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby 47guitarman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi Amanda,
My t.bone system had the same controls as Ian's and I tried the gain control set at zero, mid way and full up. I tried the mic/line switch in both positions and also swept the squelch control from end to end. Whatever I did made no difference to the problem of hiss or fizz when I played but it obviously did affect the volume. I also tried using different batteries in the transmitter from duracells to rechargeables, all to no avail. Hence my decision to give up and sell it. Hopefully Ian might have more luck in sorting his system out.
Regards, Dave
47guitarman

Full Real Name: Dave Moore

Postby stagetech » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Amanda,
I tried the gain as you suggested. I turned the gain on the amp off, and the gain on the transmitter to full.
I then gradually increased gain on the amp until I had sound.

"I have sound" without Hiss, Fiss! The amp is set at 30watts output at the moment, so I will need to try at higher settings but at least I can use it. The one thing I did discover, if I go a couple of millimeters higher on the gain, the hiss comes back. So it is sensitive, like me. :D

Many thanks to all.
Ian.
stagetech

Postby Amanda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

HI Ian,

I'm glad to hear that, as I say I had noise on the signal which disappeared
when I turned the level up, obviously if you have humbuckers with the level
full up it will overdrive the transmitter modulator and give rise to distortion.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby peter roest » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Ian,

In my band we have 4 t.bone systems with the "redcapped" transmitters (for me channel 15 )on Vox AC30 and AC50 bass. We have no problems (only when the batteries are empty).
The first step you have to do is to get the right squelch position. The right position is that, turning down from max. to min. the 4 green lights + the red light on the receiver are still burning at 5-10m distance face to face whith the transmitter; signal is not needed!
When this is all right, you can set the gain control on the transmitter; no distorsion is needed. In this situation you have the optimal signal/noise ratio.
The t.bone system works perfect, without any system delay!!

Peter
peter roest

Postby stagetech » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks Peter,
I will try that as the hiss came back, and turning down the gain only disguises it.

Ian
stagetech

Postby stagetech » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 pm

I think I have finally nailed it:

Turned the master volume down on the amp, turned the gain up to the 10 to 10 position then increased the volume to suit.

Hey presto, no hiss and radio works. I have to turn volume down though when using a lead, as this configuration is a lot louder than the transmitter. :D
stagetech

Previous

Return to Gear