MEAZZI Emulation

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: MEAZZI Emulation

Postby chippy71 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 pm

If you listen to all of Phil Kellys tunes on utube you can hear he has got 'that sound' but he is also a fantastic player.what would be interesting Phil, if you played one of those tunes with exactly the same gear, minus the meazzi.

neil.
chippy71

Full Real Name: neil fletcher

Postby alandjackson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 pm

It is lovely to see the colour pictures of the Jennings-badged Model 'J' on this site. The front panel and controls are almost identical to the 'F' but the chassis and drive mechanism are the same as the Model '2' which came shortly afterwards, being punched and drilled for both Models. The spacings of the first four replay heads are identical with the '2' but there are six in total. The 'F', however, had the same wheel as the other two but not the flange underneath, clearly seen in the picture, since the drive for the wheel was arranged on the top not underneath and is about 6" in diameter. The wheel in this picture is the same as my '2' and also has the tape loop, made of 1/4" tape, around the circumference mounted on the rubber tyre. The wheel is about 5/8 - 3/4" deep and is, therefore, not really described as a 'drum'. I shall use 1/2" tape on mine when it is ready and I have had to replace all the posts, head bearing arms and most of the elecronic components including heads. Most of the parts have had to be hand made - even the special screws have cost me £1 each!

The interesting piece of information I have is that some of the early '2's, and the keyboard player in one of my friend's group had one of these, had a rare type of wheel. S.E.P. were still trying to use an oxide coating, even after the disappointments with the Model 'F', and so they were working with a local tape manufacturer, I think B.A.S.F., to produce an oxide combination containing graphite which was applied to the surface of the tyre. The lady in question bought one of these in about 1960 and the '2' was used by her, and later by the lead guitarist, well into the 1970s. Apart from the usual change of valves and internal cleaning, the wheel on the unit had no maintenance whatsoever and the Model '2' was sold in the mid-70s, working perfectly, when the group broke up.

Alan Jackson.
alandjackson

Full Real Name: Alan David Jackson

Postby alandjackson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Oh dear, typo time! Each screw cost £10. Sorry!

Alan J.
alandjackson

Full Real Name: Alan David Jackson

Postby Amanda » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi,

All the talk of EQ is rather spurious if you are looking for Hank's "Stage" sound, as far as I'm aware
it was Stratocaster - Meazzi - AC30.

Another point in question is the "vibrato filter" or by another name "Cutting Edge" that circuitry is
only used on the vib / trem channel so wouldn't affect the Hank sound except for numbers using the trem channel.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am

alandjackson wrote:Oh dear, typo time! Each screw cost £10. Sorry!

Alan J.

Hi, Alan,

Nice to see you post here - see you at Pipeline?

By the way, if you press the "edit" button (just above your post, over to the right a bit), you can correct typos without having to add a new post for the purpose - a great improvement over the old MSN days!

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:26 am

Amanda wrote:Another point in question is the "vibrato filter" or by another name "Cutting Edge" that circuitry is
only used on the vib / trem channel so wouldn't affect the Hank sound except for numbers using the trem channel.

He could have used the vib/trem channel on a permanente basis, without activating it when not needed...
There are many clues that he did so, thus avoiding the need to change input.
Most of those I know who have achieved good results in Hank's sound emulation have been using such a bass cut filter for many years. It was part of Patrice Bastien's PB Box first model back in 2000 (among other features).

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Found a guitarist on Utube who has Wonderful Land recorded with a Magicstomp and then with his newly aquired TVS3
Hope he does not mind my posting him in here ... is he a member here ?

Magicstomp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkfl4qMn ... re=channel

TVS3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rM9bS9d ... re=related

Well it should be clearer now ! :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby keithmantle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:35 pm

It doesn't sound £2500 difference to me (he says after buying a ESE Echomatic Mk6)!!!!
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 pm

keithmantle wrote:It doesn't sound £2500 difference to me (he says after buying a ESE Echomatic Mk6)!!!!

They never do Keith, but I love my ESE MKIV and although marginally more pleasing to the ear than any of the modern digital units, there is a difference and it satisfies me. That said, when playing with a track or the band, the subtle improvement that the more expensive kit provides is not normally appreciated by a normal punter.

I too listened to these two clips with the Magicstomp and the TVS and to my ears neither of them sound right, I don't think the stuff is set up correctly. I'll put it this way, I still have the Magicstomp and I've owned the TVS and I couldn't make them sound like those two do. :shock:

I am still yet to hear the EXCACT tone from any machine that compare's with the recording of Apache, hence my belief that the studio has the last word in this debate. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby des mcneill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi Guys, Back on this topic again.
I have just returned from Pipeline which I very much enjoyed. I have followed this thread with great interest and I appreciate many of the opinions expressed,but everything in my opinion fades into insignificance against the sound Justin generated at Pipeline. We can't all have Meazzis or old AC15s,or Justin's dedication and style,but the sound he produced was fabulous, - to me at least. Can you emulate that ? - I don't know but I understand why people try.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

PreviousNext

Return to Gear