MEAZZI Emulation

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: MEAZZI Emulation

Postby scotocaster » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi Amanda, the heads on the Schaller do not touch the drum.... there is a very small gap between the drum and heads. Hope this helps. In the meantime, have a great day. Scott

Amanda wrote:Hi Didier,

I can reliably say that the heads on Binsons are adjusted so as to be just touching the
steel wire area of the drum, I've just set up a Binson Echorec 2 that had all the heads out of alignment
and what an involved job it was, there are 3 adjustments all that slip when you adjust
one of the others!

As for the Meazzi Disc echo with the original disc having a magnetic oxide coating I would assume
that the heads would be adjusted so as to be barely touching the surface.

I have a schaller here that uses the oxide coated drum and the heads are set so that they
are virtually touching the drum.

Peter, Charlie was telling me about Dick's visits to the Palladium to sort out Hank's meazzi,
apparently he used to also oil the tape to help with the wear problem.

Theoretically the Wheel Echomatic as it is shown in the picture will sound virtually the same as
a tape meazzi as it uses tape as the magnetic medium.
scotocaster

Re: MEAZZI Emulation

Postby Didier » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Amanda wrote:Hi Didier,

As for the Meazzi Disc echo with the original disc having a magnetic oxide coating I would assume
that the heads would be adjusted so as to be barely touching the surface.

Hi Amanda,

When you look closely at the photo of the Meazzi drum and heads (post #127), you see that there no possible adjustement for heads. The heads are fixed on small swivelling arms, and pushed against the drum by spring wires.
The spring wires don't seem very strong, but enough to keep the heads in contact with the drum. Hence the wear problem...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Previous

Return to Gear