PLEK SYSTEM SET-UPS

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

PLEK SYSTEM SET-UPS

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am

Hi all. Can I ask if anyone has used the PLEK fret dressing and basic gitar set-up being offered by a couple of guitar shops in the uk. I believe Gibson, Martin,Suhr etc use this system to do their setups. I have seen the Plek available for the past couple of years but have never fancied letting a computor go to work on my guitar. Any feedback would be apreciated. Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Re: PLEK SYSTEM SET-UPS

Postby Mark Burton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:29 am

I have to agree - not sure I'd let a computer loose on any of mine ! no substitute for the human touch ....... I use Pete Allen at www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk (Warwick) all of his setups include a full fret dress and you get free checks every six months.
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby nigel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi Found this on the Web I have had this done to my Music Man Albert Lee 1st class results sound and playability and i intend to have the same carried out on my Legend when required

Welcome to plek
Which guitarist doesn't know this scenario: the instrument sounds excellent, looks precious and sits well in the hand, but somehow it is hard to play. A problem, that can be rectified.Next to the tone it is the playability that is one of the most important characteristics of a musical instrument that determines its quality.With the plek process the most optimal string action possible for each instrument can be guarantied, matching the individual style of the musician. An optimal playable guitar sounds better: the strings do not hit against the frets while playing and intonation problems, that occur because of a inadequately high string action, are eliminated.

Plek pro speeds up the production process and raises the quality of instruments to an extremely high and consistent level
The plek pro has been developed to be used in guitar production factories and/or service-repair shops as a tool that not only does precise fret dressing but also helps with quality control and R&D. plek pro speeds up the production process and raises the quality of instruments to an extremely high and consistent level.This computer controlled device scans and dresses a guitar under actual playing conditions, strung and tuned to pitch. This is a major breakthrough since the plek pro identifies precisely what needs to be done for perfect fretwork, executes this rapidly, and delivers perfect results on the instrument when restrung.

Cheers Nigel
nigel

Postby fenderplucker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi,
I have a cheap Squire Standard Tele that had some really bad dead spots along the neck due to uneven frets, so I though I would give Plek a try. The result was excellent with all the problem spots gone and a really nice action all along the fretboard. I would recommend a Plek setup without hesitation. With some '52 vintage tele pickups I now have an instrument that is as nice or better to play as any other Tele I have tried and it sounds great too!

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby asimmd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:22 pm

A big vote for Peter Allen,you can't get better.

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby suboA21 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi

I used Chandlers at Kew to set my Legend up using the Plek System.
One word ............ Bl**dy Fantastic (sorry two words)
I had the guitar 6 years until a reluctant sale last year and never had to touch the set up again.

Very, very happy to use it again

Steve
suboA21

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:46 am

Hi, and good morning to all. I too have always prefered the human touch but ever since I heard about the PLEK, I have been itching to give it a go. I think what you have said above, gives it the all clear. I have looked at the Chandler ad as they are the only ones I can find with the new updated PLEK. Shipping costs, down to Chandler, plus the cost of the setup have to be considered but I think at some stage in the near future I will have to give it a go. Best regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby asimmd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:40 am

Morning Geoff

It would be interesting to know how you get on with the PLEK setup.

Would you please give us a review of the setup when it is done.

It would nice to know it includes,and of course whether you
are happy with it.

Thanks

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:55 am

Hi all, Looks like the new year Alan what with Christmas looming up we will have to see whats left in the kitty. I will try the PLEK as the above positive reports show, it works. Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby MagicOurMorris » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 am

This is an interesting topic, can anyone explain in a litle more detail what the PLEK SYSTEM is and how it is applied. I gather it's a computeised system/approach to guitar set up? - but in what way does it differ from the traditional way/s of setting up a guitar, i.e.what are it's advantages/benefits? :shifty:
Secondly what sort of price would one have to pay for such a set up, and is it only available at Chandlers?
Regards to all ;)
Keith (MagicOurMorris)
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Next

Return to Gear