Echotapper

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Echotapper

Postby Twang46 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Just aquired a Magicstomp (Bass model)

I thought I would try out the downloads from the guys who brought us the VST modules that caused such a stir a while back.

http://www.echotapper.nl/dev/

95 patches in all, very logically arranged by echo models (with a very interesting variable reverb patch) in the classic Parent/Child sequence.

I think they are great, easily as good (if not better) than Charlie's EFTP patches and best of all they are available without charge.
I remain completly in awe of the amount of time, effort & knowledge that is required to come up with this technology that Jacob, Piet & the gang are offering to us all.

Well worth a look at the above site

Cheers

Dick
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Re: Echotapper

Postby Bojan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:19 pm

I agree Dick, they have done a fantastic job. They have not only made patches for all the main "outboard" echo devices, but they have also made fantastic patches for VST plugins, including the psp608 and their own ETAP2. All of these things they made themselves and offered to everyone without any cost. That is truly commendable . . . They are for echos what Goran Tangring is for backing tracks!!!

Here's to you, Piet, Jacob . . . and Goran!!! :)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby ecca » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:44 am

Good though they are I doubt that anyone's patches are going to be better than Charlie's.
He was the man that showed the way all those years ago.
Ecca
ecca

Postby PeterV » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 pm

First of all a big thank you for the positive remarks!! :thumbup:

A general observation that should be taken into account is the fact that the clustering of "original recordings" against echo devices is the main reason why a rather universal interface (read eTAP2) was (and is!!) required. As an example, for the Meazzi disc echo only a handful of "original recordings" are applicable. for some clusters there are even sub-clusters of"original recordings" due to the inability of the early Meazzi echo devices to deliver in a consistent manner (or being alterred by the user for that matter). It is also a known fact that the design tolerances of the Meazzi gear was very poor indeed.

As, for our JPatch developments, most of the amplification levels are obtained firstly through in depth analysis of the "original recording" before being linked-up with the specific echo device's timing/amplitude contrains and then grouped in a parent/child relationships as the chosen way to manage the structures.

I agree with the statement that, for optimal quality of a patch, most electronic units presently in use are not fit to be candidates to emulate the specific tape/disc characteristics as they lack resources and other inabilities to product an emulation that delivers a quality echo. eTAP2 idea to develop was born after we've noticed that we never could get our exact requirements fulfilled on the other gear we possesed. After about 400manhours of very interesting work eTAP2 delivers all those elements and is used around the world in soundstudio's and 6000+ other places.

Presently, I know of a handful of DIY initiatives , including ourselfs again, to produce echodevices based on the multi-head configuration we all need.

The "effects" market is at this moment only interested in the singular type of devices as modern echo's can be achieved by 1 head and multitap functionality. Therefore, most of the new devices, including the already existing digital units regarded as capable on producing delays are not capable of producing delays longer then 240mS or starting to distort for our required 700-800mS timings. I'm sure, given time, solutions are forthcoming.

-Piet ;) also for Jacob
PeterV

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Well done Piet and Jacob ... I think you are hinting on a hardware unit in the not too distant future if that happens then that would be good news :clap:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Twang46 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks for the insight to the future Piet. 8-)
I was wondering, does anyone know of a way to "overwrite" the pre set patchs in the MS as not having a bass guitar I have no use for the pre sets which on my MS are for bass.
As you may know the JP patches fill the preset part & as a result I am unable to access the guitar patches supplied with the "purple" MS.

Cheers

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby Amanda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi,

I know that Ecca got involved early on with patches for one of the
pieces of software only I'm not certain which one.

As regards the preset patches on the magicstomp, they would probably be in
the "firmware" which may or may not be re-writable with the normal purple MS
firmware.

Piet and Jacob's site is a mine of information.

Re: new tape echo builds, to me the way to go is valve driven tape echo with
presettable digital control so that you could have "patches"
like the Q20 etc and switch easily between them without all the
knob twiddling and button pushing between numbers.

Regards

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Twang46 wrote:Thanks for the insight to the future Piet. 8-)
I was wondering, does anyone know of a way to "overwrite" the pre set patchs in the MS as not having a bass guitar I have no use for the pre sets which on my MS are for bass.
As you may know the JP patches fill the preset part & as a result I am unable to access the guitar patches supplied with the "purple" MS.

Cheers

Dick.

You cannot overwrite the preset patches only the user banks are writable on the Magicstomp...
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Amanda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Roger,

It may not be possible to overwrite the Bass presets with the user software,
but I wouldn't mind betting there is "service software" that will do this.

The problem is, how do you get the "service software" and firmware
for the magic stomp.

So I concede that my earlier answer is an "academic" one.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Return to Gear