Advice needed on straplocks...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Advice needed on straplocks...

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 am

I've never used a straplock. In my opinion, Fenders don't need them, and neither do Burns guitars as long as the strap button is located on the tip of the bass-side "horn" as with the modern reissue Marvins.

But... I have two Gibson electrics which have strap buttons on the back of the heel, and since Gibson strap buttons are so small (which doesn't help), there is a constant danger that the guitar will fall forward off the strap and be severely damaged.

Can anyone recommend a straplock set which can be simply attached in place of a Gibson strap button, please? I've checked out the UK axesrus site, but the choice is confusing...

TIA,

JimN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Advice needed on straplocks...

Postby RUSSET » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:29 am

Hi Jim,
I've always fitted Schaller straplocks to most of my guitars, especially the Fenders. The only exceptions are my Burns & PRS models, which have their own unique buttons & don't seem to need them. I find the normal standard Fender style buttons a bit risky & have had a guitar fall off the bottom button a couple of times (onto my foot .... ouch !).
OK, it's a bit expensive if you have a large guitar collection to upgrade, but in my opinion is well worth it to avoid guitar damage & personal injury.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby suboA21 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:06 am

Jim

I agree with Tony. I replace the strap buttons with Schaller Strap locks including the strap buttons on all my Electrics. Now only 4 guitars but was 5 including 3 Burns types ( Legend, Club series Double Six , Marquee, Hank Marvin Squier Strat and John Birch LP type). Never ever have to worry about dropping them which is what I did with the Legend and took a huge chip out of the lacquer.

Steve
suboA21

Postby David Martin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:30 am

Jim, the top entry here is the best and cheapest option in my opinion...

http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Strap_Locks.html

Cheap as chips, so you can equip every strap you have... got mine off the counter at PMT (Pre Minstrel Tension) in Southend...

They work really well and are unobstrusive...

http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/1153203186_STRAPLOK_ERGO_LOK_STRAP_7007_463x342.jpg
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby noelford » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Yes, Strats can fall off, too! I've fitted Schallers on mine and like the solid, safe mechanism of the lock, and the easy clip-on and clip-off facility. I have some of the very cheap rotating disc locks, too which are very effective and require no modifications whatsoever, simply slipping over the button once the strap is on and twisting to lock. The downside of these is that very occasionally they can unlock themselves (though, if they do, the guitar still doesn't fall off). They are also a bit fiddly when it comes to putting straps on and taking them off. They work very well on the back buttons of my Gibsons, however, and are definitely great value.
noelford

Postby bec » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:25 pm

Jim
I kitted out most of my guitars with Straplocks after my Burns Bison hit the floor whem my strap came off. :shock:
The type Is use are virtually identical to those supplied with my Burns Shadows Marvin guitar.

If you log on to the website below you will find a range of straplocks for sale under "guitar accessories".
:)
http://www.reallyusefulmusicco.co.uk

regards Brian (bec)
bec

Postby ErikMAMS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Schaller and other locking systems are popular and safe - but IMO they look too modern/clumsy on classic guitars.
Have a look at these:
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG242&product=0815C%2F0815S%2F0815G
ErikMAMS

Postby cockroach » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37 am

I believe some folk use those flat plastic clips that supermarkets use to tie up plastic bags of loaves of bread and bags of fruit and veg.... :roll:
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby suboA21 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:41 am

cockroach wrote:I believe some folk use those flat plastic clips that supermarkets use to tie up plastic bags of loaves of bread and bags of fruit and veg.... :roll:

Blimey forgot those - used to use them myself. Not seen any in the UK for 20 + years. Bread here seems to use a small strip of sticky tape now, somehow don't think I could trust that :lol: !!!!

Steve
suboA21

Postby bob t » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:23 am

Another very popular choice at one time was the rubber rings off Grolsch bottles. I use these and they seem very tight & secure.

Bob T
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Next

Return to Gear