FENDER HBM Signature models

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

FENDER HBM Signature models

Postby mickyb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 am

Anyone know the main differences between the Fender and Squier versions..? (both made in Japan)
mickyb

Re: FENDER HBM Signature models

Postby stephen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

Micky, there are undoubtedly many members of this site, who will be able to quote you 'chapter & verse' regarding the main differences between the two, but maybe I can start the ball rolling.............

My 'knowledge' really comes from buying one of the Squier HBM Signatures, new in 1992 for £199. This version predated the later Fender branded one by a few years (1996 I think). However, both emanated from the same Fender Japan factory. The Squier version is probably the more 'exclusive', as apparently, only 500 were produced. The later Fender one was produced in 2 batches of 500, I believe.

I can't tell you an awful lot about differences in pickups between the two. Some people maintain that the Fender one had USA pickups, but whether or not this makes them 'better' is subjective. At the time I bought my Squier HBM, I also owned a Strat Plus and over time, found that I was reaching for & playing the Squier, far more than the premium USA guitar. It just sounded 'better'...........to MY ears. Subsequently, I sold the Strat Plus and kept the Squier.

I'm sure that the harware used on both the Squier and the Fender variants are broadly of similar quality. The main difference is the actual machine heads. The earlier Squier was fitted with the more 'modern' sealed type with oblong buttons and the single screw attachment. The Fender one had the more period-correct, Kluson style with oval buttons. (also aesthetically more pleasing to my eyes!)

The headstock on the Squier was slightly 'odd', the shape being similar to that produced when Fender decided to revert from the CBS large design, but had lost the drawings/spec. of the original 1950's one, so just guessed it to some degree! Anyway, it isn't quite 'right'............However, the later Fender model, did have the correct 1950's outline.

Well Micky, I do hope that the foregoing is of some help. Overall, I think that the Fender variant is closer in appearance to the model that Hank actually played...........and it also has 'Fender' on the headstock and not 'Squier'. Price-wise.......? Depending on the condition, Squier HBM's seem to fetch between £300-£450, when they appear on eBay. The Fender ones seem to attract up to £150 or so more.
Stephen.
stephen

Postby geoff1711 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:36 pm

I have the later Fender version, the colour is a little better I think, pickupwise though, it currently has Fender Vintage Noiseless, did have Kinman Hank Modern
it's a nice guitar, but of my various strats it's the one I play the least, the neck shape I find not too comfortable and the frets are a little on the skinny side.

The hardware was upgraded(?) to gold and the man himself has signed the back of the headstock.

A friend of mine recently bought a Mexican classic 50's in Fiesta Red and that's pretty nice and I prefer the neck, I would have sold mine except it's promised to my eldest when I shuffle off.............

Pricewise one went recently for £750.

Current Squiers look to be really excellent, to my mind they are better than standard Mex's and you seem to be paying a premium for having the "F" word on the headstock rather than the "S"

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby RUSSET » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:18 am

I have the 1996 Fender Jap HBM model. It has an Ash body & came with Jap Alnico pickups & is a little on the heavy side, although a really well made guitar. A friend has had the earlier Squier version, which was also very well made, but came with a Basswood body & Ceramic bar magnet pickups.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Paul Childs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:30 pm

I had a Squier version for a short while when they first came out. It had intonation problems with the bridge saddle on the low E, it was screwed back as far as it would go and the 12th fret note was still too high. I also went through three pickup switches in three months.
I switched back to my sunburst USA Standard which everyone said sounded much better.
Paul Childs

Postby Mikey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:37 pm

I have a MIM HM Signature They are quite hard to come by as only 250 were ever produced and they compare favourably with the Japanese model. There's not much about them on the net but here's a snippet I found:
Finally found the review in a 6 year old Guitarist mag. It was indeed a limited edition MIM Classic Series called the Fender Marvin Classic. Limited to 250 pieces only. Body is alder. It was 30% more expensive than the standard Classic and was not commisioned by a music shop, it was on general release albeit in extremely limited numbers. It had the Easy-Mute trem system that Hank uses on all of his Strats, funny, how they are made in England, sent to Mexico then comes back again on a guitar.

A few of the other members here have one or have had one - Ecca, for example. He reckons the colour is the most accurate of all the HM Signatures and I would agree.
I got mine on Ebay. it was unplayed and still had all the tags, etc. Even the trem was still in its sealed bag.
Here are some pics: my actual guitar (with Easy-mute tremelo temporarily removed) plus the original ad for the Classic series.
Strat.jpg
(205.08 KiB) Downloaded 6101 times

The pic of mine isn't a good representation of the colour which is more of a Flamingo Pink.
Attachments
HBM0.jpg
(90.44 KiB) Downloaded 6101 times
Mikey

Postby mickyb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:43 am

Thank you all for your comments - much appreciated.
mickyb

Postby Olsson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:19 am

Hello
I am a little bit confused about the Mexico made HBM signature.Only the ones sold in GB was supplied with Easy Mute tremolo arm. But was´nt the number made nearly 4000 ? A lot of them was sold in Scandinavia.
/Bertil
Olsson

Full Real Name: Bertil Olsson

Postby ecca » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:13 am

Here's the write up.
The only weakness for me was the weedy pick-ups, I put Kinmans on and it was fine.

mex strat write up small.jpg
(574.2 KiB) Downloaded 6076 times
ecca

Postby Alainlafrance » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Olsson wrote:Hello
I am a little bit confused about the Mexico made HBM signature.Only the ones sold in GB was supplied with Easy Mute tremolo arm. But was´nt the number made nearly 4000 ? A lot of them was sold in Scandinavia.
/Bertil

No, the ones sold in France had it also
Alainlafrance

Next

Return to Gear