Fender Frontman 212R Amplifier

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Frontman 212R Amplifier

Postby Strummer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Anyone had experience with these at all. I am told by a source that has bought one that he thinks it is the "bees knees" for the money?

It's a solid state but whacks out 100 watts etc.

Just looked some up and they range from 280 odd ££'s down to £227 if you know where to get them.

The guy is a Shadow's nut and reckons he gets the sound really well on these?

I await your comments dear peeps.
Strummer

Re: Fender Frontman 212R Amplifier

Postby JimN » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:03 pm

There are two sorts: the all-black one (sold as "FM100", I think) and the classic-looking Twin-Reverb-alike Frontman 212R with the silver grille cloth.

I know someone who has the black one: pretty good performance with plenty of volume (and for six-string bass at that). But the amp doesn't really get all that much use and is lightly treated.

I also know someone who has the silver one: it sounded pretty good when nearly new (c. 2 years ago), but constant 4 nights a week jamming in pubs and clubs, with a multitude of different guitarists using it (many of them VERY LOUD INDEED) has found the unit wanting. It has been repaired many times and almost all of the major components have been replaced. In the case of the speakers and power transistors, more than once, and in some cases more than twice.

My favourite electronics repairman points out that the factory components are the cheapest of the cheap and that the amp is an insult to the name of Fender. As already noted, he has replaced (and for the most part, upgraded) every major component, and the amp has increased in weight by 50% or so as a result.

Hmmmm....

So which one to go for?

Neither of them.

If you're playing at home, you don't need 100 watts (however optimistically rated). Get a Vox VT40 instead.

If you're playing out around the pubs and clubs and if you need 100 watts, you'll ultimately be disappointed with either amp.

Get a proper Fender amp instead - eg, the Twin Reverb. Even s/h and well-used, you won't find one for £225, but for, say, £450 (and up) you ought to be able to get a classic amp that will be toneful, loud, reliable and hard-wearing.

HTH,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 am

JimN wrote:I know someone who has the black one: pretty good performance with plenty of volume (and for six-string bass at that). But the amp doesn't really get all that much use and is lightly treated.

That's probably me (Hi Jim!). Agreed that it doesn't get gigged four nights a week, but it sits in the studio and certainly gets used most days of the week. Owing to the lack of a drummer, The Secrets have been pretty quiet of late, but The Triumphs have been gigging and the amp is more than loud enough for good-size halls when used with a five-piece band. It has performed absolutely faultlessly over the four years that I've had it and sounds no diferent now than it did when new.
Fender FM212R.jpg
Fender FM212R.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 4295 times

JimN wrote:There are two sorts: the all-black one (sold as "FM100", I
think) and the classic-looking Twin-Reverb-alike Frontman 212R
with the silver grille cloth.

The FM212R (two 12" speakers with Reverberation) originally came with a black front grille (like mine): this was later changed to a silver grille, but they are both a 212R.

What is it like? Loud when it needs to be but whisper-quiet for studio use (no hums and hisses like valves). The Clean channel (with Treble, Middle and Bass controls) really is clean, but with that characteristic Fender brightness. I don't use the Overdrive channel but for those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.

As Jim says, it handles six-string bass well - both Jim's Fender Bass VI and my Shergold Bass 6 have played through it at the Surrey Club and the Fender+Fender sound was felt to be usefully authentic.

One BIG advantage over a Twin Reverb is of course WEIGHT. A Twin Reverb is VERY HEAVY whereas the FM212R is a reasonable one-hand lift from the ground or from the back of a car. Here's a little story. A certain well-known band came to record at my studio. On the first occasion, the lead guitarist insisted on hauling his Twin Reverb up the stairs (well, actually, it took two of them) because he wanted to get the right sound and only that amp would give it. The next time, the Twin Reverb stayed in the van and he was happy to use the 212R in the studio to get the sound that he wanted.

Two essential extras? The proper Fender cover (about £25) which helps a lot to keep the amp from those 'travelling knocks' and doesn't add to the weight the way that a flight case does. Secondly, the amp stand that you can see in the picture. The combination of height and tilt really helps to project the sound out to the audience and effectively means that the volume control can be backed off . Also, an amp on the floor, or even on a chair, doesn't give the guitarist the clarity of sound and foldback that these amp stands do.

Finally, the 'Harmony Central' question - would I buy another one if this got nicked? Yes, I would.

Ray
Last edited by RayL on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Mike Honey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 am

I've had a black-faced 212r for three years now.It's my only amp and It's played at least three nights a week,sometimes six. It has never ever let me down. Yes its heavy ,yes it's loud, and yes it has to be cut back on the treble, but for the money its great! I use it in my shadows set and i use it for the duo work. Sometimes its paired with one of my strats and sometimes with my tele. Having had a music shop i've been able to play most brands and models of amp and the 212r compares very favourably although it does not have the range of tones of many others.

mike
Mike Honey

Postby Strummer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Right, thanks guys your comments have been taken on board and i will ask another question under a "new" heading.
Strummer

Return to Gear