MiJ Fenders...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: MiJ Fenders...

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 am

The biggest problem I had with both the MIJ and Jap Hank sig, was the fingerboard profile, I just don't get on with a 7.5 radius. I favour 9.5 which is available on both the MIM Classic Player strats and since they don't do FR, I bought a two tone sunburst and got Ian Harper to respray it, so if you were up to a little bit of cosmetic work, it could be beneficial checking them out.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby asimmd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:21 am

Another vote for the Classic Player 50's Strat.

Considering the price it's excellent,and sounds fine with the
pickups that are on it.

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

Postby MoonCat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 am

Two years ago I got one rosewood fiestared Strat from MIJ. A great guitar, looking and sounding fantastic! The sound of this guitar made me change pickups on my HM Signature Strat.
Best regards
Even Trygve Hansen
http://www.themooncats.com
MoonCat

Postby ernie1958 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:55 am

AlanMcKillop wrote:The biggest problem I had with both the MIJ and Jap Hank sig, was the fingerboard profile, I just don't get on with a 7.5 radius. I favour 9.5 which is available on both the MIM Classic Player strats and since they don't do FR, I bought a two tone sunburst and got Ian Harper to respray it, so if you were up to a little bit of cosmetic work, it could be beneficial checking them out.

8-) If by FR you mean Fiesta Red then you haven't been to the right shop Alan.. :lol: Last week I was at my local musical instruments shop and
guess what I played on whilst there..??Ahaaa...you guessed it..lol...a MIM Fiesta Red 1957 reissue Strat!!By the way,i already mentioned this in a
former post.Good guitar for not too much money!

Regards,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:10 pm

My understanding is that the MIM '57 Classic Series does come in FR (and other colours), but the MIM Classic Player strats are different models, with the '50's series available in Shoreline Gold and Sunburst and the '60's series available in Sonic (I think) Blue and Sunburst. They may have added additional colours, but part of the sales blurb from Fender was that the Custom Shop designers of the guitars, wanted the colours restricted to two for each model.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby ELET » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi
I have a "Crafted in Japan" Blue Flower Strat which I bought new some years ago. It plays and feels great but the pickups were not quite to my taste, (a little bit thin and shrill). When I came to change them for Custom Shop 57/62s' I was rather suprised to find that the original pickups were the ceramic bar type, the pots were mini ones and that the pickup selector switch was of the printed circuit type found in cheap Encore guitars. The wiring was very thin and one wire fell off the switch when I touched it so it must have been hanging on by a thread. Having re-wired the guitar, replaced the pickups, pots and switch I'm very happy with it. I've no idea what the current crop of Japanese Fenders are like but I'd hope that they've upgraded their electrics.
Henry
ELET

Postby RUSSET » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:41 am

My experience of MIJ Strats is that they are really well made guitars. It's just the electrics inc. their own home-made pickups are not up to USA quality. Once upgraded, you have one of the most playable guitars you have ever touched.You can buy the models with Alder bodies & US made pickups for a few extra Yen, anyway, & they are then equal to any US made standard Strat. The Jap necks are particularly good.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Bluesnote » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:44 am

David Martin wrote:I'm pondering the purchase of a rosewood board MiJ Fender in glorious Fiesta Red...

What are members' experiences of these guitars, and, in particular, the pickups as supplied...

David. You seem to treat guitars with the same interest that my wife treats shoes :lol:

She cant go by a shoe shop without having the urge to purchase something :?

Only joking ;)

What kind of price range are we talking here?
Bluesnote

Postby David Martin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:12 am

Dunno... didn't ring up yet... :)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby philbarker » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:58 pm

C'mon Barry

he can play it upside down - Hendrix style!!

Phil B
philbarker

PreviousNext

Return to Gear