MiJ Fenders...

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

MiJ Fenders...

Postby David Martin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:41 am

I'm pondering the purchase of a rosewood board MiJ Fender in glorious Fiesta Red...

What are members' experiences of these guitars, and, in particular, the pickups as supplied...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: MiJ Fenders...

Postby ScouserJoe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi David,

I've bought several guitars from Jon Clarke (MIJ Fenders) in the past and I've always been very pleased. One such instrument was the model you describe. The quality of the instrument and the service I was given was superb. To be honest, I wasn't as clued in to the variations in tone that each of the different pick-up types gave at the time, so I cannot give you any feedback in that respect. I'm sure a good few others have bought from Jon and should be able to help.
ScouserJoe

Postby ernie1958 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:19 pm

8-) Hey David!! I guess you haven't read my "pickups" post in the "that sound" section... :lol: MIJ guitars aren't bad at all EXCEPT for some
certain hardware parts and ESPECIALLY the pickups and pots!!I have a MIJ Fender Jazzmaster and it's a real killer guitar,but only after I
bought some vintage correct hand-made pickups from Curtis Novak(!!!)He makes awesomely good true to original pickups for all kinds of guitars
and more!Anyway...the MIM Fender guitars would be a better choice if you ask my honest opinion coz those guitars have FAR BETTER stock
pickups than the MIJ ones have!Even the Fiesta Red MIM Strat is a beaut and does not cost that much either...around 595 Euro's!
Great guitar for the money...honest!!

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby John Boulden » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 pm

David, see my recent post to your thread about Pickups on 'That Sound' Board.
John Boulden
John Boulden

Postby BarryH » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:47 pm

The MIJ strats I've had have been excellent.

Can't say the same about the pickups though. This is because the MIJs I have are all left handed and the pickups are Japanese. On the righty MIJ strats, I do believe the pickups are of American origin and do sound much better.

This is easily sorted for the lefties with a quick change to a set of Tonerider Pure Vintage, rounds off the guitar nicely.

Cheers
Barry
BarryH

Postby Amanda » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi,

I've had no problems with my '57 reissue CIJ strat from Jon Clarke, as for the
pickups it sounds great to me, the pickups on the '57 are American and have
cloth wiring, as for the pots, mine still has the originals as fitted, theroretically
there should be no difference in operation to the larger pots.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby John Boyd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 pm

David,
You can't go wrong with a MIJ Stratocaster. The build quality is excellent and the attention to detail (like string tree location) is spot on.
I've owned four and am currently selling one on a NZ trading site ( www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=245030774 ) - if only you were closer we could do a deal!!!
I've usually retrofitted US hardware including trems with full steel block and US pickups - 57/62 pickups on the rosewoods and Custom 54s on the maple neck models.
I'm only selling this one because I brought another '62 back from the US a month ago and plan to keep it because of its colour. It seems to me to be the closest match I can remember to my original 62 Strat - which went for a song in '67!!
Enough of my rave - just go out and get one. You won't regret it.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby dave.creasey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:08 pm

David, i have a standard jap HBM signature your welcome to try if you like. Granted its a maple board, but im sure you will get an idea.

We need to get together for that jam anyway................

Dave
dave.creasey

Postby David Martin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks guys... I used to have a MIJ Hank sig and that was a good piece of kit!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby BarryH » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:03 am

David, you'll have to think about converting to playing left handed, I'm considering selling one of my MIJs :D

Cheers
Barry
BarryH

Next

Return to Gear