G Dec Country Amp

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

G Dec Country Amp

Postby 51 Relic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi I have been thinking about buying a Fender G Dec 30 ( country version ) for practice etc has anyone played one of these or indeed owns one that can comment good or bad ;)

seems ideal that you can also load all your Shadows backing tracks by SD Card and get a good clean core sound that you can add an external echo ? in addition to the inbuilt country backing and guitar sounds and plug into a PA if required ( ideal for hotel gigs etc)

Cheers Nigel
51 Relic

Re: G Dec Country Amp

Postby geoff1711 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:12 am

HI

I have the G-DEC 15 as I only use it at home, I think the country version is probably the same as the country download which you can add to either the 15 or 30 to overwrite the original broad spectrum of styles.

I've done this on mine and I think there are some better cleanish sounds.

Does it produce Hank playing a 58 Strat with 13's and a wound 3rd into a VOX AC15? or a Burns into an AC30 Top Boost? well maybe not.

But what it does do is produce some really good sounds which when played against a preloaded backing track certainly brings a smile to my face.

You can do a lot of tweaking via your computer, amp types, tones effects etc and load 100 patches with your own tones and backing tracks via the SD card, you can also swap SD card files with friends either directly or electronically via internet or whatever.

Inputs on the back for another guitar and a line in, on the 30 line out which can be all, just the backing track or ( I think) just the guitar.

On the 15 line out is just the mix via the headphone socket.

The 30 has a beafier speaker and a tweeter, the 15 a full range speaker.

Having said that if you want it to use on your own either at home or as a solo performer it's great, as a duo against backing tracks OK but in a band situation I think you'd want something else because I'm not sure it would stand up against a manic drummer.

And of course on it's own it certainly doesn't have the same response as standing in front of a roaring valve amp, but then a roaring valve amp really only comes into it's own when you're playing live or you've got no neighbours!

Where it really scores is the convenience of just switching it on choosing a patch hitting the start button and there you have it, backing track with what you consider to be the right tone and effects straight away so you can play as many tunes as you have stored on the trot.

I would think that it would also be ideal for a solo performer, again because your tracks are there stored against tone and effects and you can start at will - no bringing the wife along to start your backing tracks after you've chatted to the audience.

It's worth shelling out for the footswitch makes things even easier.

Before I bought mine I was realy only twelve bar bluesing and the odd strum at home because playing against backing tracks was just so long winded, yes in theory you can play your backing tracks on the home stereo and have an amp in the same room, or plug a modelling floorbox into a mixer with backing tracks on CD or MP3 but it's just so long winded.

One word of caution though, make sure you buy the G-DEC3 version because the original G-DEC was only MIDI files and 70 patches, the G-DEC3 either 15 or 30 is 100 patches with an SD card slot so you can load your UB Hank (or whatever) backing tracks.

It's this later improvement which makes it so ideal for us home guitar heroes.

Geoff M
geoff1711

Postby geoff1711 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am

Just another couple of thoughts on the G-DEC3....

What would be really good would be if Charlie or another of our Hank echo wizards was to offer "Echoes from the past for G-DEC" as a download or SD card.

Secondly you can dual use the amp, at home for practice with backing tracks, or live plugged into something bigger like a a valve guitar amp and use it as an effects processor with a band and use it just for the presets not the backing track, or into a PA for a solo performer with the backing tracks again, size of PA to suit venue.

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby 51 Relic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi many thanks for your time getting back to me ,yes my mind is now made up . I have noticed on Amazon they are selling Fender G Dec Tab packages complete with the SD card for the styles and music of a number of guitarists so yes a Shadows package would be a great idea

Cheers Nigel
51 Relic

Postby geoff1711 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Nigel

I don't suppose you've got a link to those tabs on Amazon? I've had a quick look but can't find them

cheers

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby bazmusicman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Nigel,

I don't have a G DEC Amp. but I do go over to the Isle of Wight quite lot, in fact I shall be over there this Easter for about ten days.
What I am getting at is that I have a TVS ECHO unit (no I am not selling it) but you might be interested in trying it if you haven't seen or tried
one. As I am sure you are aware that this is the unit that Hank used on the final World Tour.
Please let me know if you are interested.

Best regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby 51 Relic » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm

geoff1711 wrote:Hi Nigel

I don't suppose you've got a link to those tabs on Amazon? I've had a quick look but can't find them

cheers

Geoff

Hi if you log into Fender G Dec .com three additions are listed

Country Guitar
SRV best of
Guitar tutor

Cheers Nigel
51 Relic

Postby 51 Relic » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:56 pm

bazmusicman wrote:Hi Nigel,

I don't have a G DEC Amp. but I do go over to the Isle of Wight quite lot, in fact I shall be over there this Easter for about ten days.
What I am getting at is that I have a TVS ECHO unit (no I am not selling it) but you might be interested in trying it if you haven't seen or tried
one. As I am sure you are aware that this is the unit that Hank used on the final World Tour.
Please let me know if you are interested.

Best regards,
Baz.

Thanks for the offer Baz but i have already tried the TVS and am quite happy with the GU.7 with EFTP and the 508 but a great unit i have to say .Have a good stay on the island . For live music i can recommend Harrys Bar in Shanklin Old Village great live bands on a Friday night and divine Fullers ESB :D

Cheers Nigel
51 Relic

Postby bazmusicman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Nigel,

Yes I have been to 'Harrys Bar' at Shanklin, we have a caravan at Whitecliff Bay so we are over quite a lot and I have got know quite a few
Artistes doing the clubs and bars.

Best regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby geoff1711 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 pm

I upgraded the 15 to the 30, the guitar sounds much the same, but a bit louder when turned up full, but the backing tracks sound better, there's not a lot in it but as I say they do sound just that bit better.

Geoff
geoff1711

Return to Gear