A Serious Question for you Experts out there?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

A Serious Question for you Experts out there?

Postby Strummer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm

So, after all the reviews etc, etc and suggestions on what rigs to buy.

Which would be the best to buy to obtain "that sound". Bearing in mind I 'aint no millionaire!
A) Amp
b) Effects
c) Foot pedal
d) Any other accoutrement that you deem 'necessary'!

I thank you friends, one and all.

From a 'man in need!'
Strummer

Re: A Serious Question for you Experts out there?

Postby Tab » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi Arthur,

You're asking 'how long is a piece of string'!

There are many answers to this question depening on who you ask.

Start with where you are going to use the rig - is it just for home/personal use? This will determine the size of amp you'll need and then work out how much you have to spend - maybe you have some gear already which can be used.

Try to get to one of the clubs to hear some equipment live and talk to as many people as possible - there will be many opinions.

If you can let us know the use and budget we can offer more meaningful advice and depending on your location, someone may get in touch to demonstrate set ups.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby 51 Relic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi I read this question in a Guitar magazine a few years back and they replied as follows

The set ups or rigs can be broken down into the following headings

Bedroom use
Bedroom practice and a few small gigs and practice
Semi Pro club and theatre use

1, Bedroom use i would choose the following

Zoom GU7,, 508 or Yamaha Magi stomp echo
Pod amp tone generator with AC15 Patch you dont need this with the Zoom GU7
Volume Pedal
Fender Blues Junior or a practice amp with a EL84 valve or any small Vox

2, Small Gigs

EFTP Echo unit with EFTP loaded patches
Heritage AC15 Vox amp
Volume pedal

3,Pro and Semi Pro

How long is a piece of string or your bank balance BUT i would choose the following or use what Hank does

Vox Handwired AC15 /30 or JMI AC30 /15
EFTP unit with EFTP loaded patches
Volume pedal

I use the following

Zoom 508 and Zoom GU7 the GU7 has a built in volume pedal
Cornford valve amp with EL84 valves and Blue speaker

Hope this of help but this is not the only view

Kind regards
51 Relic

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:37 pm

A simple solution if all you require is to play your guitar into your computer, is the valve driven Vox Tonelab LE or SE. You have all the tone, echo, compression, modulation and distortion that you will ever need and you can program the correct echoes into it. The SE has a double pedal, the LE a single one. I have both and prefer the LE as it is lighter and smaller, but it does the job either through an amp, through a PA system, or as Robbie showed us through the computer with his exellent soundfiles.You can find them brand new for £299.00 or on Ebay for a half that . :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 am

Fender Stratocaster, circa 1959. ( Pink )
Vox AC15. ( Fawn, not black )
Meazzi Echomatic.

Simples.
ecca

Postby barryg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 am

Arthur,

This thread could go on forever as everyone has their own opinion on what gear to use.
A decent quality strat is the first thing you need and it must have heavy strings on it with a wound 3rd string. This is the one thing that produces the sound you are trying to achieve. With heavy strings you will need a thick pick of about 1mm and you will need to hit those strings hard when you play the guitar to bring out the sound and the tone you're seeking.

When you have your guitar set up and ready plug it into your echo box (Zoom 508 or Magic Stomp etc) and then connect it to you amp of choice (Vox AC15, AC 30 etc) and off you go. You don't need any stomp boxes, computers or other devices. If you get the guitar right you're half way there. The rest is up to the player and his ability to get the right result.

Remember Hanks original Strat bought from USA was an ordinary off the shelf Fender Strat, nothing special. (until now that is)

Not everyone will agree with my points but it does work and that's basically what live bands use. We can't all get a Meazzi echo box to use so we have to compromise with something else but whatever echo you choose it will work and you will get a reasonable and accepteble sound for Shadows music.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby barryg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

I should mention Rotosound have a set of strings 12,16,24w,32w,42w,52w that will do the job nicely.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby ELET » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:53 pm

ecca wrote:Fender Stratocaster, circa 1959. ( Pink )
Vox AC15. ( Fawn, not black )
Meazzi Echomatic.

Simples.

Don't forget the Specs, suit and funny tie thing.
ELET

Postby Paul Creasey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

............................AND the Hard Work and Talent!
Failing that, I guess that "Selling your soul to the Devil", as Robert Johnson was said to do, might work!!
Regards
Paul
P.S. However, unless I'm totally mistaken, to truly achieve "That Sound", might you not also need a decent Bass Player, Rhythm Guitarist, and Drummer?
Paul Creasey

Postby ELET » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

I was never very interested in the Shadows when I was young and they were topping the singles charts. Living in East Anglia where there were lots of American air bases I was exposed to,and prefered the rock and roll and electric blues sounds coming from the USA. Although I lived close to Great Yarmouth and the Shadows played at least one summer season with Cliff Richard there I never saw them perform live. What did they really sound like on those package tours? These days the sound equipment used by touring bands is probably more sophisticated than anything available in a studio back in the late 50s'/early 60s' . The only record, (no pun intended), we have of live theatre perfomances from that time were probably specially recorded for commercial release, so all we have are memories of those who saw them at the time and the original recordings, (if they haven't been remixed). I know that memories can be a bit unreliable, for instance I saw the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park and thought they sounded great at the time, the DVD of the gig reveals that they were well out of tune and gave a shambolic performance.
ELET

Next

Return to Gear