VOX valve reactor

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

VOX valve reactor

Postby Vincent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:08 pm

How many out there play through Valve reactor amps??

Personally I found these louder than the previous models, but am not entirely sure of the valve reactor theory. Does it give 'valve like' sounds or tones?? The valve is in the power amp section
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Re: VOX valve reactor

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:50 pm

I had the AD120VT for a while and it sounded very good. Not as warm as an all valve but better than a transistor amp
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Didier » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Vincent wrote:The valve is in the power amp section

The valve is in the preamp section. There is no valve in the power amp section.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby ecca » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:16 pm

I thought it sounded odd to have a valve in the power section, I couldn't imagine how they'd do it.
ecca

Postby panchodiaz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:19 am

The valve is a 12AX7, a preamp valve but used in the power section. It amplifies the signal to 1 w and later, that signal goes into the Valve Reactor circuitry and it is amplified to 15, 30 or 60 watt. At least in my Valvetronix 120AD
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby RUSSET » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:12 am

Pancho is right. I had an AD30VT for a while, & if you read the Vox manuals, the 12AX7 valve is actually in the power amp section just prior to the actual solid state power amp. It is supposed to give the feel of an AC30 type gain as you turn up the output & it begins to drive. The pre-amp section is all digital solid state including all the amp modelling & effects sections.
It was quite a nice amp with some very good tones, especially considering the price you paid. It is not quite a Vox valve toned amp, but good value for what you get, especially with all the variety of amp models. I only sold it on because I found the Fender Superchamp XD, which has the digital modelling & effects, & has a valve pre-amp & power amp section.
Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Didier » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:42 am

panchodiaz wrote:The valve is a 12AX7, a preamp valve but used in the power section. It amplifies the signal to 1 w and later, that signal goes into the Valve Reactor circuitry and it is amplified to 15, 30 or 60 watt. At least in my Valvetronix 120AD

Which confirms that the amp power doesn't come from the valve...

Didier
Didier

Postby panchodiaz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Just the opposite, Didier. Copied from the Vox website:

VR Valve Reactor
Originally designed for the critically acclaimed Valvetronix modelling amplifiers, the Valve Reactor circuit places a 12AX7 vacuum tube (or “valve”) into the power stage. Known as a dual-triode tube, the 12AX7 is actually two tubes in one. Our engineers have configured this tube to act as a small power amplifier...

http://www.voxamps.com/valvereactor/
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Didier » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:01 pm

panchodiaz wrote:Just the opposite, Didier. Copied from the Vox website:

VR Valve Reactor
Originally designed for the critically acclaimed Valvetronix modelling amplifiers, the Valve Reactor circuit places a 12AX7 vacuum tube (or “valve”) into the power stage. Known as a dual-triode tube, the 12AX7 is actually two tubes in one. Our engineers have configured this tube to act as a small power amplifier...

http://www.voxamps.com/valvereactor/

You'll never get 15W or more from a 12AX7, even if the valve is in the first stage of the amp section, the effective output power doesn't come from it, but from an IC power section...
Have a look here, and you'll have confirmation : http://www.valvetronix.net/docs/AD15_30 ... manual.pdf

Didier
Didier

Postby ecca » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 pm

You're right Didier.
The circuit diagram is crystal clear.
The power amp is an LM3886.
ecca

Next

Return to Gear