VOX valve reactor

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: VOX valve reactor

Postby panchodiaz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:03 pm

You'll never get 15W or more from a 12AX7, even if the valve is in the first stage of the amp section, the effective output power doesn't come from it, but from an IC power section...

Absolutely right, Didier, but you first said that the 12AX7 was in the pre-amp section, which is not correct, because it acts as a power tube in this case, amplifying the signal up to 1 watt only. Later, this signal will be amplified by the VR circuit up to the final power.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Didier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 am

panchodiaz wrote:
You'll never get 15W or more from a 12AX7, even if the valve is in the first stage of the amp section, the effective output power doesn't come from it, but from an IC power section...

Absolutely right, Didier, but you first said that the 12AX7 was in the pre-amp section, which is not correct, because it acts as a power tube in this case, amplifying the signal up to 1 watt only. Later, this signal will be amplified by the VR circuit up to the final power.

I only considered that anything ahead of the final output power stage is "preamp"... ;)

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 am

I love it when everybody's right!! :) :lol:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby ELET » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Didier wrote:
panchodiaz wrote:Just the opposite, Didier. Copied from the Vox website:

VR Valve Reactor
Originally designed for the critically acclaimed Valvetronix modelling amplifiers, the Valve Reactor circuit places a 12AX7 vacuum tube (or “valve”) into the power stage. Known as a dual-triode tube, the 12AX7 is actually two tubes in one. Our engineers have configured this tube to act as a small power amplifier...

http://www.voxamps.com/valvereactor/

Have a look here, and you'll have confirmation : http://www.valvetronix.net/docs/AD15_30 ... manual.pdf

Didier

Yep! it's a solid state output. Manufacturers of solid state guitar amps have been trying to make buyers believe that they sound just like valve amps for years. The valve in the circuit is just the latest fad, (do you remember the FET phase?). I have some, (old USA built Peavey), solid state amps and they sound great for clean stuff but if I want a real authentic valve sound I use one of my all valve amplifiers. I must say that the Reactor circuit diagram looks very complicated, I can usually fix any problems with my old valve amps but I think that if I had a problem with one of those I'd bin it.
ELET

Previous

Return to Gear