Vox Cambridge 30 breakdown

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vox Cambridge 30 breakdown

Postby Vincent » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am

Does anyone out there know why the clean channel on a Cambridge reverb 30 would distort?

In fact both the channels on mine have broken up. I think the problem is that they dont take kindly to being played at full whack too often. I wonder what component is responsible. tremolo is also gone. In good nick these sounded very good. Good tone-better I would say than Valve Reactor.

Vincent
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Re: Vox Cambridge 30 breakdown

Postby Didier » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby panchodiaz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi,
My Cambridge has the same symptons. It distorts in both channels. I thought it could need a new valve (it uses a ECC83 in the preamp in Channel 2) but the fact that It also distorts in the clean (transistor) channel indicates that maybe the cause may be different.

Didier, my Cambridge had the optocoupler problem solved from the factory but it´s possible that the new one would be deteriorated too.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Didier » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 am

panchodiaz wrote:Didier, my Cambridge had the optocoupler problem solved from the factory but it´s possible that the new one would be deteriorated too.

If it was replaced by the factory, may be that they used a component from the same supplier than the original one...

The one indicated by Jimbo is from another supplier, and supposed to be much more reliable.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to Gear