Neck concavity.....

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Neck concavity.....

Postby ecca » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Henry... you're absolutely correct about the situation beyond the 12th fret..... I hadn't thought about that.
I now come back to my original thoughts about the best thing being a flat neck........ ?????
I don't quite know how this talk about pick-ups crept into this thread but me being the world's worst for bargeing into other people's threads..... I couldn't give a monkey's..... carry on.

How do you spell bargeing ?
ecca

Postby neil2726 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 am

B A R G I N G :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby ecca » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:54 am

I tried that but the bottle of white wine consumed prevented my correct assimilation of its correctness.
(eh ?)
ecca

Postby ELET » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 pm

ecca wrote:Henry... you're absolutely correct about the situation beyond the 12th fret..... I hadn't thought about that.
I now come back to my original thoughts about the best thing being a flat neck........ ?????
I don't quite know how this talk about pick-ups crept into this thread but me being the world's worst for bargeing into other people's threads..... I couldn't give a monkey's..... carry on.

How do you spell bargeing ?

Ok no more mention of pickups, (at least for now). Some players can get away with a lot less neck relief than others, if you're a light picker and can cope with a slightly higher action a flat fingerboard would probably be fine as the vibrating string shouldn't buzz against the fret above the one you're playing. I don't pick the strings very hard but do have a small amount of neck relief on my guitars in order to allow for tunes like "The Savage" where I find that aggressive pick attack is needed to get something like the original sound. I try and set my guitars up so that the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the low E string is just a nats under 2mm, for the top E I take it down as low as I can get away with. As I do a fair bit of string bending I find that I have to compromise as a too low an action results in string "choking" when I push them across the fingerboard. I once bought a Strat from a strictly Shadows player who never really bent strings, the action was very low and there was virtually no neck relief, the guitar played fine as long as I picked very lightly and didn't attempt any string bends but I had to take the action up and add a bit more relief to suit my style.
ELET

Previous

Return to Gear