Roger Allcock Vox Vintage mod ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Roger Allcock Vox Vintage mod ?

Postby keithmantle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 am

Hi All , I've just bought a Vox AC15 TBX with Rogers mod, what is the best way of getting 'the sound' from it. thanks Keith
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Re: Roger Allcock Vox Vintage mod ?

Postby Keith Bateman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:45 am

I set my tone controls to full bass and treble at between 1 and 2 o'clock with the bright switch off. This will also give the Burns tone when using the amp alone. On Roger's unit I find that for most of the early Shadows stuff position 2 is best but for some numbers like Peace Pipe, The Savage, Sleepwalk, Blue Star and Apache I prefer the fuller sound of position 1. I usually run the volume of the unit at about 2 o'clock so as not to overdrive it and then use the master volume on the amp. "The Stranger" benefits from overdriving the unit however. It's a matter of taste and how things sound to your own ears. By the way, you will not be able to use the reverb on the amp when going through Roger's unit as it somehow by-passes that circuit.

Good luck with the amp. I have generally been happy with mine for looks and sound but have recently had some hum problems which needed attention.

Keith
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby markrgv » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi Keith,

I see you're having fun with the amp already :D .
I can't remember the settings i used through the Vintage Unit. I know it produced a lot brighter sound, but ironically i often used to just plug into input 1 on the amp!
Maybe you could experiment a bit to see what you find sounds good. Also you could always give Roger a PM and see what settings he advises.

Mark.
markrgv

Postby rogera » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Keith I've sent you a PM.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby keithmantle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks Roger, I have replied. Keith
keithmantle

Postby keithmantle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:25 am

Keith Bateman wrote:I set my tone controls to full bass and treble at between 1 and 2 o'clock with the bright switch off. This will also give the Burns tone when using the amp alone. On Roger's unit I find that for most of the early Shadows stuff position 2 is best but for some numbers like Peace Pipe, The Savage, Sleepwalk, Blue Star and Apache I prefer the fuller sound of position 1. I usually run the volume of the unit at about 2 o'clock so as not to overdrive it and then use the master volume on the amp. "The Stranger" benefits from overdriving the unit however. It's a matter of taste and how things sound to your own ears. By the way, you will not be able to use the reverb on the amp when going through Roger's unit as it somehow by-passes that circuit.

Good luck with the amp. I have generally been happy with mine for looks and sound but have recently had some hum problems which needed attention.

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks for the explanations/settings , regards Keith
keithmantle

Postby keithmantle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 am

Hi All, Tried the AC15 TBX+R A vintage mod last night at the Hankies, very impressed, best tone I've ever had (Q2+59 C/S NOS Strat)
keithmantle

Return to Gear