New amp

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New amp

Postby Strummer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that I'll have a look-see and decide if it all 'works' for me.

Again, thank you very much.
Strummer

Postby RUSSET » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Strummer wrote:Hi Russet...I currently paly a Vavletronix AD 30 VT. It is an excelent amp and I would suggest Rosie can do no worse than use one of these. Excellent amps in my opinion. However, i do seek the 'Holy grail' somewhat. I'm trying to locate a Vox AC30 at a 'reasonable price' if I can. I would then try to find the best alternative to a Watkins Copycat, though what that is these days I just haven't a clue?
You don't have any ideas do you?

Hi Arthur,
I also had a Vox AD30VT for several years, & found it a great little amp. I replaced it last year with a Fender Superchamp XD, which is all valve, but with some digital effects & amp-modelling. I use a Zoom G2 pedal for live performances, which goes direct into the PA, using the amp-modelling & effects in the pedal. I have set up some layered multiple echoes for the few Shads tunes that I play 'Lead' on. For the remainder of the set, I am mainly playing Rhythm & am using the excellent Acoustic simulator patch in the G2. There are three seperate modules in the G2 that contain echoes & I have managed to adjust the parameters in them, & layer them on top of each other so that I can get just what I need in lush echoes for Shads tunes. The G2 only cost me around £80. I also have the excellent Zoom 2000 rack effects unit, pre-programmed with Charlie Hall's sperb 'Echoes From The Past'.
Cheers, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Rosemary » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Arthur
Thanks. I've taken note of the Valvetronix for a time when I might upgrade in future.

Also this serves me right for not reading the manual first but I don't think any of those gain and volume settings were having an effect on the Cube 40XL because I had it set to JC Clean instead of Lead. I've only been playing the acoustic the last week but hope to get time to try out the amp again tomorrow.

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Vincent » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

The BRITCOMBO setting on a Microcube is spot on- I own one. The Blackface or Fender,is also good as the Hank Marvin sound was a mix of Vox and Fender.
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Postby Strummer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:18 pm

RUSSET wrote:
Strummer wrote:Hi Russet...I currently paly a Vavletronix AD 30 VT. It is an excelent amp and I would suggest Rosie can do no worse than use one of these. Excellent amps in my opinion. However, i do seek the 'Holy grail' somewhat. I'm trying to locate a Vox AC30 at a 'reasonable price' if I can. I would then try to find the best alternative to a Watkins Copycat, though what that is these days I just haven't a clue?
You don't have any ideas do you?

Hi Arthur,
I also had a Vox AD30VT for several years, & found it a great little amp. I replaced it last year with a Fender Superchamp XD, which is all valve, but with some digital effects & amp-modelling. I use a Zoom G2 pedal for live performances, which goes direct into the PA, using the amp-modelling & effects in the pedal. I have set up some layered multiple echoes for the few Shads tunes that I play 'Lead' on. For the remainder of the set, I am mainly playing Rhythm & am using the excellent Acoustic simulator patch in the G2. There are three seperate modules in the G2 that contain echoes & I have managed to adjust the parameters in them, & layer them on top of each other so that I can get just what I need in lush echoes for Shads tunes. The G2 only cost me around £80. I also have the excellent Zoom 2000 rack effects unit, pre-programmed with Charlie Hall's sperb 'Echoes From The Past'.
Cheers, Tony.

Thanks for that Tony. I am "hunting the sound" as I suppose most of us have at some time or other. My story is that I was beginning to get into guitars etc when I had a bad road accident (I was a Rocker then became a Mod) at the tender age of just 19. My left arm was snapped in half and my left hand (metacarples were also snapped, effectively, in half) with them all being 'pushed up my arm as it were. I did not touch a guitar at all for some 41 years or so. I have been going at it for some 5-6 years now, own 5 good guitars and want dearly to achieve my youths aim; to play like Hank. (I play other stuff, my own style, but, I have always loved HBM's style and want to achieve it as closely as possible.

So, anything that allows me to attain that goal is more than welcome.
Strummer

Postby Strummer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Rosemary wrote:Hi Arthur
Thanks. I've taken note of the Valvetronix for a time when I might upgrade in future.

Also this serves me right for not reading the manual first but I don't think any of those gain and volume settings were having an effect on the Cube 40XL because I had it set to JC Clean instead of Lead. I've only been playing the acoustic the last week but hope to get time to try out the amp again tomorrow.

Best wishes
Rosemary

Rosemary,

You might want something more powerful, so look at the VOX AD 50 VT and AD 100 VT. I also hear on the Grapevine that VOX have again upgraded the AD line so keep an eye out for that as well. i believe they may have more effects, but I am not certain?

Good luck anyway. You will not be dissapointed.

Best wishes

Arthur
Strummer

Postby RUSSET » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am

Rosie,
If you do eventually go for a Vox Valvetronix model, check out their website first. There are now two Valvetronix ranges. The Valvetronix series, & the Valvetronix+ series. The former with the chrome grill front is probably the one which would suit you best, as it has many more choices of vintage clean amp models. The latter with the Black grill is a more modern one with a lot more higher gain amp models, similar to your Roland Cube.

Cheers, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Rosemary » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks Tony and Arthur
I think I'll definitely go that way next time. The Cube is pretty good especially for my level but when I get good enough I'll also want the best sound (I'm already getting a bit pre-occupied with it - but then I go back to playing as most of all practice is what I need at the moment).
Thanks again
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Bluesnote » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 pm

RUSSET wrote:Rosie,
If you do eventually go for a Vox Valvetronix model, check out their website first. There are now two Valvetronix ranges. The Valvetronix series, & the Valvetronix+ series. The former with the chrome grill front is probably the one which would suit you best, as it has many more choices of vintage clean amp models. The latter with the Black grill is a more modern one with a lot more higher gain amp models, similar to your Roland Cube.

Cheers, Tony.

I bought the crome grilled one just over a year ago. Its a brilliant wee amp for the money and so versatile with it, and sounds great. My only regret is that I wish for around 50quid more that I'd got the 30w instead of the 15w but too late now I suppose.
I believe you can DI the 30w into a mixing desk whereas there's no connection on the back of the 15w so you would have to mic it up if gigging with a band :(
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby Strummer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Bluesnote wrote:
RUSSET wrote:Rosie,

Cheers, Tony.

I bought the crome grilled one just over a year ago. Its a brilliant wee amp for the money and so versatile with it, and sounds great. My only regret is that I wish for around 50quid more that I'd got the 30w instead of the 15w but too late now I suppose.
I believe you can DI the 30w into a mixing desk whereas there's no connection on the back of the 15w so you would have to mic it up if gigging with a band :(
Hugh.

Hi Hugh,

The VOX AD 30 VT is a really superb amp for the money and you can get it close to sounding like an AC 30 due to it being a "preamp" tube type amplifier. meaning that it is designed to sound as close as possible to a proper Valve amp.

I love it myself, but...there is always that famous AC 30 beckoning...Lol!
Strummer

PreviousNext

Return to Gear