Behringer Effects Pedals

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Behringer Effects Pedals

Postby johnto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Has anybody here had any experience with Behringer effects pedals? I've had a pedalboard made up of Boss pedals for the past 26 years or so but one-by-one they are gradually breaking down. I've recently bought a Behringer VD-400 Vintage Delay pedal (at a very cheap price brand new) and although it's housed in a plastic casing rather than metal, I've been very impressed by the sounds it creates.
I'm now seriously considering buying the Behringer Ultra Chorus and Blues Overdrive pedals to complete my set-up but a local music store has told me that they had several returns / reliability issues with Behringer products in the past and have stopped stocking them.
I realise that they are very cheap products (I can buy the Chorus pedal brand new for £26!) but they sound great! With money being so tight at the moment they appear to be excellent value but I don't want to waste my money if there are problems with the brand.

Can anyone advise me through personal experience please?

Thanks

John
johnto

Re: Behringer Effects Pedals

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Behringher pedals are modelled after some of the others such as Boss and MXR and the like. For the price you get what you paid for ie lower quality components inside but I have a dynamics compressor modelled on the MXR Dyna Comp which performs well and a Graphic EQ pedal. Not the best but they work OK overall. I read a review on the compressor by a guy who reviews most popular compressors and it came out well for sound.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I tried a Behringer compressor - which was a Boss copy at half the price. It was OK but I ended up spending a lot more on an EBS which I use all the time.

My experience is that you get what you pay for and it depends where your threshold of tolerance is!

Iain
Last edited by Iain Purdon on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Bluesnote » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 pm

I recently purchased the DD400 delay and it sounds fine for what I use it for ie, home recording. I had the Boss original years ago when I played in the band, and were I playing again, I'd get another Boss over the Behringer anyday. I dont think the Behringer would stand the test of time if it were getting gigged all over the place.
As said, its what you pay for in the end.
And the guy in the shop did try to put me off the Behringer, saying that he was fed up with the amount he was getting back. I think its the fact that its plastic and wont stand the constant strain of being pushed down with the foot on stage so often. Its ok in the house with me as its not being used all the time, as in kicking it on and off constantly as you would in a gig situation.
Bluesnote

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Just spotted that the last 6 letters spell "ringer"...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby johnto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for your responses guys (nice one Iain :lol: !!!)
I don't play a lot of gigs now so for what they cost I'll probably give them a try. They will be mounted in a small pedalboard flight case so will be protected most of the time.
Thanks again!

All the best
John
johnto

Postby RayL » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 pm

About those Boss pedals of yours - if you've got one or two of the rare ones you could be sitting on a goldmine.

For example, if you have a VB2 Vibrato pedal you could be looking at more than £250 on eBay.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby johnto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Really? Thanks Ray - I'll look into it.
johnto

Postby Mike Honey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:06 am

I am playing three nights a week regularly and i use aBehringer echo unit with absolutely no problems. i dont get an authentic 'Hank' sound but thats not what I'm looking for.We also use a Behringer 500w PA amp (but with better quality speakers).

mike
Mike Honey

Postby Bluesnote » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:41 pm

I was on a cruise many years ago and there was a really good band on the ship. The guitarist used a Behringer(dont know the model) combo amp. He had an amazing range of sound out of it, I was well impressed. It was the first time I'd heard the name Behringer.
If I were to play again, I'd be sorely tempted to try one or two out with a view to purchase 8-)
Bluesnote

Return to Gear