MusicMan "Silhouette Special"

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

MusicMan "Silhouette Special"

Postby hansaustria » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Last week I tried a MM Silhouette Special ( radiance red / H/S/S / vintage tremolo / listprice € 2 500.- ) in a musicstore in Germany.
Built in 2005 according to the dating support of Ernie Ball Music USA! The guitar is a killer. Paid for the used one in near mint condition
€ 900.- ! It has all the sounds I need on stage when I play with my band. Shadows sounds and Spotnicks tones are really possible.
The "Silent circuit" is very good working !

Does anyone have experiences with this guitartype? Good or bad ones !
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Re: MusicMan "Silhouette Special"

Postby geoff1711 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 am

I used to know a guitarist who said once you'd played a Music Man you'd never go back to Fender, his words not mine, and for that reason I never have.

Geoff M
geoff1711

Postby ELET » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am

I've owned Music man guitars in the past and have been very impressed with thier playability and build quality. How do you get on with the Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge position? I would have thought that might be a bit of a problem, (too fat sounding), when playing Shadows tunes.
ELET

Postby cockroach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 am

I wonder that also, whenever I see a Strat type pickup configuration with a humbucker in the bridge position(unless it has a coil tap)

I have always thought that if you are going to have a mixture of pickup types, a humbucker would be better in the neck position, so you can get a nice jazz sound, then the usual single coil tones for rock, country, Shads etc styles from middle and bridge positions.

Either way, that MM that you scored at a reasonable price is still a very nice guitar- good luck with it!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby hansaustria » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm

No problem with the coilsplit and the right pot ! Last friday I saw Lukather live in Austria. What a wonderful guitarplayer. I was near the
stage 3 meters in front of him. I saw that Luke had a lot of modifications on his guitars. The neck PU was not EMG and IMO not active.
He had 1 or often 2 additional switches on his guitars. The sound was great !!!!!!!!

Hans
hansaustria

Postby StuartD » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi Hans

I have three. a Silhouette with two Gold Lace pickups and a Little 59 Duncan at the bridge. It's a great guitar. I also have an Albert Lee Model and a Ball Family Reserve Albert Lee model with Tremolo. They are very good and very well made. The sound is great and i haven't used my Fenders for a long time now.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby hansaustria » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Now I have two. A 1992 with FR-Tremolo and 24 frets ( very rare ) in mint condition. Did get it from a
friend of me - a young Austrian pro musician who uses 4 other ones on stage. This guitar he played only in the
studio.
Both are great sounding guitars with slightly different tones. Depends IMO on the maple and on the Floyd Rose
and on the different PU. The bridge PU in my MM Silouette Special was replaced by a Pearl Gates HB from
Seymour Duncan.
What do you think about the "Silent Circuit"?

Regards
Hans
hansaustria

Return to Gear