GUITAR POLISH

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

GUITAR POLISH

Postby OLDEREK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Why do they charge so much for such a little amount, here are a few items on ebay, spot the difference in price if it's not just for a guitar !

ERNIE BALL GUITAR POLISH & CLOTH COMBO ...................£6.99

DUNLOP 65 GUITAR POLISH AND CLEANER 4FL OZ............. £9.95

Ernie Ball Palm Size Wonder Wipes Instrument Polish.........£7.00

GIBSON GUITAR PUMP ACTION POLISH + CLOTH COMBO.......£9.99
Martin Professional Guitar Polish - Pump Spray................. £5.50

Aristowax Wood Silk Furniture Polish Non Silicone Spray £2.15

Furniture wax Polish..........................................£1.80
OLDEREK

Re: GUITAR POLISH

Postby ecca » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Doesn't it depend on the quantity and type of wax ?
Isn't Carnauba the recommended as being the hardest finish ?
I use Gerlitz Carnauba on the L5. ( It's the only one I polish )
ecca

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:49 pm

I've tried so called 'guitar polishes'. I think they are a con, furniture polish does the trick for me with solid body guitars.
If I owned an expensive classical or flamenco hand-build job I'd maybe think again. But for a laquered instrument polish is polish I think 8-)
Bluesnote

Postby Hank2k » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 pm

i personally use Autoglym super resin polish (car stuff) top off with a hard wax by mequiars or autoglym. I do this once every 6 months and the guitars always look brand new
Hank2k

Postby Bojan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm

In my experience on my JetGlo (black) Rickenbacker, which is very sensitive, by far the best polish is Zymol, a water based cleaner wax made primarily for automobile finishes, but don't let that fool you . . . . it does the job marvelously, and it contains no silicone, which is important if you ever want to repaint your guitar !!! And it smells like coconut. :D :thumbup:

For minor scratches and swirl marks there is definitely nothing like Meguiar's ScratchX . . . I use both Zymol and ScratchX and the surface of my Rickenbacker looks like a polished black Steinway piano !! And it has worked wonders on my Strat. All my guitars virtually have mirror finishes.

I definitely recommend these two products, which are relatively cheap because they are primarily for automobiles and are sold in relatively large bottles or tubes at almost all gas stations or stores for automobile supplies. I have a plastic 450 ml bottle of Zymol which I will probably never use up.

Bojan (also known as Boing)
8-) :D
Attachments
FIL1.JPG
(268 KiB) Downloaded 7146 times
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby ELET » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:10 pm

ecca wrote:Doesn't it depend on the quantity and type of wax ?
Isn't Carnauba the recommended as being the hardest finish ?
I use Gerlitz Carnauba on the L5. ( It's the only one I polish )

I use the same brand, it may seem expensive but a tin lasts for ever, (well almost). It produces a really hard shine on both nitro and modern finishes, I believe carnauba polish is also used a lot by custom car owners.
ELET

Postby ecca » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

Bojan wrote:In my experience on my JetGlo (black) Rickenbacker, which is very sensitive, by far the best polish is Zymol, a water based cleaner wax made primarily for automobile finishes, but don't let that fool you . . . . it does the job marvelously, and it contains no silicone, which is important if you ever want to repaint your guitar !!! And it smells like coconut. :D :thumbup:

For minor scratches and swirl marks there is definitely nothing like Meguiar's ScratchX . . . I use both Zymol and ScratchX and the surface of my Rickenbacker looks like a polished black Steinway piano !! And it has worked wonders on my Strat. All my guitars virtually have mirror finishes.

I definitely recommend these two products, which are relatively cheap because they are primarily for automobiles and are sold in relatively large bottles or tubes at almost all gas stations or stores for automobile supplies. I have a plastic 450 ml bottle of Zymol which I will probably never use up.

Why have you pinched my purple colour Boingy ?
ecca

Postby Bojan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:39 pm

ecca wrote:
Bojan wrote:In my experience on my JetGlo (black) Rickenbacker, which is very sensitive, by far the best polish is Zymol, a water based cleaner wax made primarily for automobile finishes, but don't let that fool you . . . . it does the job marvelously, and it contains no silicone, which is important if you ever want to repaint your guitar !!! And it smells like coconut. :D :thumbup:

Why have you pinched my purple colour Boingy ?

Have I? I will remedy that situation right away. Here, is this better? :P
In my experience on my JetGlo (black) Rickenbacker, which is very sensitive, by far the best polish is Zymol, a water based cleaner wax made primarily for automobile finishes, but don't let that fool you . . . . it does the job marvelously, and it contains no silicone, which is important if you ever want to repaint your guitar !!! And it smells like coconut.

Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby ecca » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Yes, that's better......
ecca

Postby Hank2k » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Thats hurting my eyes :lol:
Hank2k

Next