vintage vox ac10 on ebay

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: vintage vox ac10 on ebay

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 pm

AC15H1TV wrote:
dave robinson wrote:Oops, you're right I hadn't checked it out sorry, I had been told the EF86 was used only in the AC15 & AC30 up until 1960 and that this valve was replaced with the ecc83 because it was troublesome and prone to harmonic noise - - - - but at that price it can still stay there . . . . . . :lol:

From a previous thread by Mr Robinson
You should try the guitars before rubbishing them, especially when one of our members is offering a great instrument for sale.
Please don't take offence at this, I am just pointing out facts that you clearly don't know about
People in glass houses :lol:
James

What a feeble and cheap attempt to have a dig. Regarding facts I have tried a Vox AC10 many years ago and as I said before was told that it wasn't equipped with the EF86 valve. It sounded OK but no cigars and in my book qualifies an opinion. If you read my post again properly, I didn't 'rubbish' the amp in question, just stated facts regarding the The Shadows amplifiers and the fact that for £800.00 Iit could stay there as far as I was concerned, so the above is uncalled for and you need to get your own facts right before writing.
The 'previous thread' that you refer to was indeed well researched if you read it correctly and the argument was in a slightly different context to this one, as someone did 'rubbish' the guy's guitar, which is why I defended it as I own and have played similar models.

The way I see (and heard) it is that the Vox AC10 isn't powerful enough to gig with a live band and I've heard better sounding practice amps available today - for as little as £90.00 last time I checked. My conclusion is why would some poor b*****d want to shell out almost a grand for a practice amp - regardless of the hype? No doubt somebody wll, but not I. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Just as an aside, the AC10 combo (square cabinet) was marketed in the JMI days as the popular size for the average group, to quote the words of the catalogue blurb.

It was definitely not sold as a practice amp. As I'm sure that everyone here will know, that position in the range went to a lower powered model

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ecca » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 pm

If it were reasonably priced I would happily buy another AC10.
It had such bite and tone at a reasonable volume.
Like an idiot I sold it for a pittance in order to feed the children.
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Just had a look on the JMI listings and they do a version of the Vox AC10 called the JMI 10. Now the bad news, they are asking nearly £1500.00 for this model which is steep to say the least. I was also surprised to read that this is in fact a 20watt amp and it should be louder than the AC15 and could indeed be loud enough for a band that play at a sensible level. Until I read this I assumed it was only a 10 watt amp, hence my comments.

The price that JMI (aka Music Ground) are asking makes this amp look a good deal @ £800.00, so having brought myself up to speed about it I will gladly concede that this is worth a punt for anyone with that sort of cash to spare . ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ELET » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm

I owned an old twin speaker AC10 for a couple of years in the late 70s'. It was OK but I don't think I'd pay £800 for one, I sold mine for £30 but that was a long time ago and pre-Ebay. I'm convinced that Ebay can be blamed for the sky high prices being asked for old amps, I wonder if this one will sell.
ELET

Previous

Return to Gear