Fender Mustang 1/11 Amp

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Mustang 1/11 Amp

Postby Shadoogie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am

Hi folks,

At the risk of being alienated amongst so many worthy members :o

For my sins I am learning with a Fender Mustang 1 amp - it models other cabinets etc and has numerous variables set via the software "Fuse".

What I would like to achieve (and don't you all!) is a sound something like the "Hank" sound and I just wondered if anyone out there has come across any "presets" configured for this purpose for this particular amp. The one or two I have found are not that brilliant (to my ears anyway - even with the hearing aids in!).

Any thoughts appreciated.

One day I will afford an effects model programmed with EFTP patches etc. But that's one day!

All the best

Geoff
Shadoogie

Full Real Name: Geoff Parkin

Re: Fender Mustang 1/11 Amp

Postby Didier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 am

I guess that you should start with the "British 60s" amp modelling. If you don't have an echo unit, You'll have to try the built in ones, but there is no settings which will closely emulate Hank's sound.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am

I can't comment with any concrete advice as I haven't had the chance to try one of these amps, but it's my guess that the presets 60's British tone will not favour the Shadows version of the sound - they usually choose the sound of The Beatles, Kinks etc, therefore a wee bit on the crunchy side. You could start with that preset and try turning the GAIN lower to get rid of any overdrive that may be present. Also if you roll off the bass and treble a little you may 'tame' the crunch.' The early Vox sound had very little in the tone other than MID.
I'll call in our local shop and see if they have one of these amps and maybe get lucky and help you with the settings - I'm going over there today so fingers crossed . . . . . . ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm

I checked out the Fender Mustang 1 amp this afternoon at Richer Sounds in Sheffield and it's a great little amp for very little money.
As I said in my previous post, I expected that the British 60's sound wouldn't fit the bill for Shadows sounds and it doesn't, it's far too much in the Brian May ballpark.
However the good news is that the first preset which is a Fender Tweed one and the third preset which is the Twin Reverb, will give satisfactory Shads tones as long as the gain is kept to about #5 on the first preset with the bass off and treble around #3 - whilst the Twin Reverb setting will allow more gain if you wish without distortion. Tone settings similar to the first.
The MODULATION needs to be OFF and the ECHO/DELAY setting at 3-O-clock which gives a satisfactory echo, particularly for Apache. You can alter the echo speed by 'tapping' the button to the tempo that you want next to the delay control.
When changing the controls of any of these patches I found that to obtain maximum effect on the controls, it is a good idea to rotate them to full on and back to zero before they work properly, before setting them to the desired level.
Enjoy, it's a great little amp.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Shadoogie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Many thanks indeed Dave - for taking the time and trouble to try this out.

I will have a go tomorrow with your suggestions and see how it sounds.

What a fantastic forum this is - help and advice is almost always a few mouse clicks away.

All the best

Geoff
Shadoogie

Full Real Name: Geoff Parkin

Postby geoff1711 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi All

following this thread see G-DEC 3 thread

Geoff M
geoff1711

Postby Beatroute63 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi David,

What a spot of luck. Just bought a Mustang and your thread saved me a lot of fiddling about.

Many thanks

Richard
Beatroute63

Full Real Name: Richard Dubber

Return to Gear