Fender Crash Guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Crash Guitars

Postby OLDEREK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi Just wondering if anybody has a Fender Crash Guitar, Fender made 50 of them, the first three went to Eric Clapton, NO: 3 he put in a auction after playing it the night before in New York.............I would think you would like them or hate them, I have always loved them and have been thinking of doing my own.........Do you like them? :D
OLDEREK

Re: Fender Crash Guitars

Postby Mike Honey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:33 am

Correct me if i'm wrong but surely anybody can have a Crash guitar but it has to be painted by john Mattos to be truly a crash guitar? He will paint a squire if you pay him enough!! Clapton never asked for them but it turned out to be good publicity for him and 'Crash' Mattos! Perhaps George Harrison famous 'psycho' strat would qualify on looks alone!

Mike
Mike Honey

Postby ecca » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 am

What is one Spuddy ?
ecca

Postby stephen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Like you, I think they're great too! I'm all for something a bit different, finish-wise as long as it looks good. Old Eric has always been a man of some taste, not only in his choice of guitars, but also his cars and suits. If only I had the same money..............

By the way, don't know if you already know, but there's a company on eBay, called 'The Painted Player', that produces a whole line of these special finish guitars. They do the Clapton 'Fool' SG, Hendrix's psychedelic V, Harrison's Rocky Strat and all of the 'Crash' designs. You choose the 'level' of the 'donor' Fender and leave it to them.

By the way, if you fancy a Hendrix psychedelic V, I produced a very close replica for my son, using car touch-up pens and the materials cost all of about £25! Mind you, I used to be a graphic artist, so did have a head start, so-to-speak.

I'd go for it Derek and get yourself a 'Crash' Stratocaster. Be different and say NO to yet another Fiesta Red!

Stephen.
stephen

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 pm

I quite like them as they are a change from the normal colours we are used to. Didn't Clapton use his on the 'Concert for George' ? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm

ecca wrote:What is one Spuddy ?

It's a multi coloured randomly painted jobbie Ecca - hows the leg? Hope you are mending.

Just put the Concert For George DVD on the machine - love it - Clapton is playing THAT guitar and it looks great. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:03 pm

ecca wrote:What is one Spuddy ?
Attachments
CRASH 3.jpg
CRASH 3 /50
(33.13 KiB) Downloaded 6154 times
OLDEREK

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm

That one is horrible, you need to Google Eric Clapton Crash guitars and you'll see the real deal, they are tasty - unlike that one! :thumbdown:

Look here
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... W34lMg3PVw
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Dave..........Is this not the same Guitar as above?
GuitarsEricClapton.jpg
Eric Claptons Crash 3
(139.67 KiB) Downloaded 6134 times
OLDEREK

Postby stephen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree with you Dave, that's certainly not the most attractive one of the series.

Derek, go to: http://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk

The one featured on their home page is one of my favourite 'Crash' Strats.

If you decide to have a go at producing one yourself, do show us the result!

Stephen.
stephen

Next

Return to Gear