Vox Ac15HTV... Bargain!!

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Plus anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, JimN, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: Vox Ac15HTV... Bargain!!

Postby Didier » 23 Nov 2010, 09:47

In french we have a saying : "Criticism is easy, art is difficult"...Didier
Didier

Postby dave robinson » 23 Nov 2010, 10:48

Didier wrote:In french we have a saying : "Criticism is easy, art is difficult"...Didier

Obviously, as you excel at criticism.
But I only find criticism useful from those who know what they are talking about . . . . . rather than those who only think they know what they are talking about. 8-)
Regardless of your attempt to hi-jack this thread, I still believe that the Vox Heritage AC15 that Pete has just bought will easily produce the desired sound in a more authentic way than the stuff you are talking about - you really need to listen carefully at what you are claiming. I listened very carefully and the difference in the two sounds are obvious to me, there are several others who I have spoken to who hear it the same way but are choosing to 'sit on the fence', I am only being honest - albeit inviting some flak, but I know what I'm hearing and stand by what I said.
You may have forgotten Didier, but I witnessed the debacle at the sound check Versailles in 2003, so I struggle to take you guys seriously.
Now can we get back to some music please
? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Didier » 23 Nov 2010, 12:12

dave robinson wrote:I still believe that the Vox Heritage AC15 that Pete has just bought will easily produce the desired sound in a more authentic way than the stuff you are talking about

I have heard a comparative test between a Vox AC15 H1TV and a JMI 15/4 (I think you know where from the JMI came) and both sounded very good, but not as close to that sound as Gégé's demos.

I have also heard comparative tests between EF86 and ECC83 preamps on an AC30, with no significant difference in sound.

You may have forgotten Didier, but I witnessed the debacle at the sound check Versailles in 2003, so I struggle to take you guys seriously.

Nowadays, it's very difficult to find a sound engineer who understand how our music must be played, and the one we had in Versailles wasn't up to the task. The sound was disastrous for everyone but The Vibratos, who had a fairly decent sound during the show.
But I remember that when Guitar Express started their set, Patrice Bastien's guitar couldn't be heard at all !

Didier
Didier

Postby dave robinson » 23 Nov 2010, 12:57

That's odd Didier, I hear 'That' sound every time I plug into all three of my amps - each has the EF86 channel. As for your experience maybe, just maybe it's down to 'pilot error'. All you need is a Strat and a decent echo machine into the EF86 channel and it is there instantly - I have lost count how many guys have discovered this. By the same token, I have also lost count of how many guys have 'messed it up' by using graphic EQs' and other unnecessary equipment in the line. For heavens sake it's a guitar/echo & amp, there never was a secret!

I find it strange that you blame the sound engineer for the debacle at Versailles as my recollection of it was that the blind were leading the blind until we(Robben and myself) put an end to it.- Was it not GeGE who was 'advising' him with regard to the sound of 'Guitar Express'.. :oops: I have never in my life spent almost four hours on one sound check - until then. Were we angry ? You bet, we missed the dinner that Bernard had organised and ended up sitting at an outside cafe for lunch, though it was quite nice. I seem to remember Bernard being angry though.

Our sound (The Vibratos) was set up by Robben and myself from 'Guitar Syndicate' and we had it set almost identical for their set, the only addition being a very 'over reverbed' microphone for Licorice's harmonica (his choice).

I know we all have our own opinions on 'that sound' but I can't go along with you and agree when I can (as can others) hear vast differences in tone between two examples. I agree that GeGE is in the 'ball park' - but so are many more of us and it's a bloody big ball park. Peace. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » 23 Nov 2010, 13:00

I forgot to mention, I'm looking forward to hearing what Pete thinks to his new AC15. Has he found the mojo? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Mark Burton » 23 Nov 2010, 13:22

Nice buy Pete

I have the AC30HH, the AC15TV and the AC4-TVHS and they all sound bloody marvelous especially on the EF86 channel, which IMO is nothing like the ECC83!

enjoy !
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Postby petercreasey » 23 Nov 2010, 15:48

And now for the news......... I have had to return the Heritage, it did sound great but developed a fault at our first practice last night :roll: :roll: so back to MY sound.
Now where did I put my Watkins Scout and my Hofner Senator??
petercreasey

Postby dave robinson » 23 Nov 2010, 17:15

Oh shit !!! :oops:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » 23 Nov 2010, 18:35

Hi Dave.
I have just asked the question over on Marks thred, Sound Files and Video Clips, so I might as well ask yourself. Can my AC30TBX have the EF86 channel mod done?
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby dave robinson » 23 Nov 2010, 18:47

Yes it can, the amp I use on stage is an AC30 TBX - It once belonged to your son Mark.
I bought the EF86 mod (Vintage Unit) from Roger Alcock and he sent the unit with the fitting instructions, you only need solder three or four wires to the board, it's simple. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear