Fender Strat tremolo bar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Strat tremolo bar

Postby Rosemary » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 am

I've been re-learning 'Wonderful Land' in the 'proper' position and my biggest problem is trying to grab the trem after the muted bits. My tremolo bar drops down when I let it go and doesn't stay in position but I don't want to tighten it any more as it feels ok otherwise (although it's fairly loose). Half the time with 'Wonderful Land' I get it caught up in the guitar lead too so was wondering if there's some special technique I could learn to make this easier.
Thanks in advance
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: Fender Strat tremolo bar

Postby RUSSET » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:37 am

The quick answer is to knock a nail into the body just to the right of the bridge unit. But, of course, that's a bit drastic. I use a thin wrap of plumbers' PTFE plastic tape, stretched around the thread of the trem arm, & this will take up most of the slack in the arm movement, & it will stay where you put it. The tape will need to be replaced every couple of months or so, as needed.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 pm

. . . or you cant get a small Fender spring that fits in the hole before you insert the arm. Does the same thing.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby noelford » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 pm

I assumed from Rosemary's post that she COULD tighten it up but didn't want to.
noelford

Postby Rosemary » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi Noel, Jim and Tony
Thanks for the tips. I've always been worried about tightening it too much in case it puts too much pressure on the bridge so it's only tightened enough to stop it falling out and is very loose fitting. I do the same with the Mexican Strat and that is also for comfort as there's not as much space under the trem bar of the Mexican Strat and I feel my hand movement is restricted otherwise. I wish the Mexican Strat trem bars were the same because I find the American trem bar much easier to use. It's the only thing I don't like about the Mexican Strat actually.
Thanks again
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Tab » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Rosemary,

You won't put any pressure on the bridge by tightening the trem arm. Screw it in so that it is tight enough to stay where you put it but is easily moveable when you want to mute. Use plumbers tape, as Tony suggested. This will allow movement and stability and ensure that there is no slack before the trem operates the bridge.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Bojan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:24 pm

The thing with plumbers tape, which is actually teflon tape, which I use also, is that once you screw on your trem arm, it should not be screwed off again because the tape will come off. I keep my guitars in wall-mounted display cases so I never have to unscrew my trem arm and I have had the same tape on for almost a year and it works great! My trem arm is very loose and pliable, yet it stays where I leave it. I have a Hiscox case and even when I have to put my Strat in the case, I still don't have to unscrew my trem arm, just twist it half a turn counterclockwise and the case closes normally. I am not sure whether the regular Fender cases are deep enough to allow that. Anyway, in my experience, the teflon tape is indeed an excellent solution!
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby ecca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Rosemary..... do you have a welder ?
ecca

Postby alanbakewell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Good lord what a question.

Imagine the scene, early morning, Rosemary about to leave the house. Now then, check list.

Handbag

Car Keys

House Keys

Hair Brush

Purse

"Good gracious nearly forgot the Welder".

Yes that's the lot. "See you later dear, have a good day". :lol: :lol:

p.s. Rosemary, there are other more permanent ways but the tape is the simplest and quickest "fix".

Cheers, Alan. xxx
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:54 pm

A spring in the 'ole beats plumbers tape every time. Believe me, I've tried both!
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Next

Return to Gear