Valves on AC15Heritage

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Valves on AC15Heritage

Postby stuartcosgrove » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:01 pm

I have a Heritage AC15 and I love it to bits and have found my best sound yet.However I mainly stick to the old EF86 channel.If this is the case,would I only need to change the EF86 valve if I came to need a valve change? How many hours use would approximate to requiring a valve change? I look foreward to your expert replies, Stuart
stuartcosgrove

Re: Valves on AC15Heritage

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:36 pm

I believe you could just change the ef86 valve and not bother with the other preamp valves on the top boost but also the most likely vales to go due to being in the power handling side are the EL84 x 2 and the rectifier valve. The preamp valves would last longer and you should get a good 2 years average use from them from new but that depends on your use and luck ! Try Watford Valves on internet for replacements and when messing inside your amp always turn power off and let the amp stand for a while to drain the capacitors too ! :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby keithmantle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:32 am

Hi Stuart, try www.voc-rock-guitars.com for valves 10/15% cheaper than Watford
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby petercreasey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:51 am

keithmantle wrote:Hi Stuart, try http://www.voc-rock-guitars.com for valves 10/15% cheaper than Watford

AND..... order a full set and you get a free pen ;) ;)
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby peter roest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:00 pm

1. You must know that after switching on, all valves are on duty. When using the EF86 channel only , the valves in the other channel are also using energy and get older.
2. There is a big difference between the load of the end valves (EL84) and the other valves. The EL84's in the AC15 are in class A "biased" (stationairy current at no signal) on 70-80% of the maximum current. The other valves are much lower loaded (10-20% of the maximum).
This means that the lifetime of the two types of valves are different.
The EL84's should be replaced after about 2000 hours, the other muchs at a more longer time.
For the Vox AC 30 the replacetime for the EL84 is shorter because the stationairy current is more than 80% they get very very hot (I use Sovtek EL84M(ilitairy) whith longer life time).
The EZ81 can be replaced when he is kaputt.
for example: I have a dynacord tape echo in function with valves older than 40 years.

Peter
peter roest

Postby rapidsguitars » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:19 pm

hi stuart, one of the best ef 86 valves on the market are the jj tesla,they sound great, you could try the el 84 valves they are a great up grade to the stock valves, hotrox uk a great for al types of valves, and all come matched.
rapidsguitars

Postby stuartcosgrove » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you all so much for the information,you are a wealth of information and I am so pleased this site exists!!! I can remember not so many years ago I thought I was the only tonefreak for this sound!!! Glad to know I've got such a great bunch of afficianadoes to turn to for assistance.Many thanks again!!
stuartcosgrove

Return to Gear