Squier bargain

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Squier bargain

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 pm

I had just come out of the dentist today after a 5 minute check-up, a merry quip and bill for £16.50 when I decided to have a gander at the nearby Cash Converters . I'm always on the lookout for vintage fx pedals and the like. They have guitars too but usually the best known name you'll find is Encore. However, today that had a Squier Affinity Strat in sunburst that looked new but if not new it was in immaculate condition, and priced at £49.95 :o Even if you bought it for messing around with or set it up for slide work you'd have an absolute bargain. Did I buy it? Well no, because I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to reduce my collection....but I was tempted!
Remember the days of the old Exchange & Mart shops? You could sometimes find guitar or amp treasures in those places.
Mikey

Re: Squier bargain

Postby Mike Honey » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:05 am

Nice find! Many years ago i swapped my old bike for a Rapier 33 in one of those shops/ wish i still had it/ the guitar that is!

Mike
Mike Honey

Re: Squier bargain

Postby Ian Miller » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Mikey,

i also came across a Squier bargain last year at a local car boot sale. A Squier 20th Anniversary made in China Strat in quite reasonable condition, price paid £20!

A good clean up, neck adjustment, new set of decent strings & slight adjustment to bridge saddles and the result is a cracking sounding guitar.
Surprisingly the the pick-ups are of the bar magnet type underneath the pole pieces but despite this the sound is remarkably like the more traditional design Fender single coils.

The body is slightly thinner and therefore lighter than the the normal Strat but I find that this does not seem to affect the tone or sustain.

Kind regards

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Return to Gear