Old Burns 1 x12 Steer Combo

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Old Burns 1 x12 Steer Combo

Postby John Boyd » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:42 am

Does anyone know anything about these amps?
Just came across this on our NZ auction site.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =321004562

Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Re: Old Burns 1 x12 Steer Combo

Postby RayL » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 am

The Steer 50 was produced in the period 1979 - 1983 when Jim Burns was given backing to start again as 'Jim Burns (Actualisers) Ltd'. It was the time when he produced the designs for the Steer guitar, the Black Scorpion guitar and bass, and the Magpie I, Magpie II and Magpie Bass models.

About the amplifier, the leaflet says:
A highly advanced combo, capturing the traditional valve sound, but using 80s technology and equally suited to live or studio applications. Features include: One 12" speaker, two inputs, controls for Volume , Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Reverb and Master. Field effect transistor circuitry including two MOSFETS at power stage. 3 spring Hammond reverb unit.

The original UK price was £220.

Also part of the 'amps and effects' range at that time were:
The Bullfrog Bass Combo (100w)
The Bullfrog Bass Head (100w)
The Bee (15w)
The Snake (800milliwatts!)
The 'Smooth' effects pedal ("could be described as a 100w stack in a box")

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby dusty fretz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:02 pm

The Steer looked better than it sounded, as the tone cicuitry wasn't very effective and the amp was equally lacking in output. My advice is to leave well alone!
dusty fretz

Postby cockroach » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Paul,

I have always considered it a fun challenge to try and get decent sounds out of gear that most people think is a load of rubbish..it's good fun and I've had a lot of horrible gear that I was able to use -and surprised many folk with top line stuff... ;)

And such stuff has usually been cheap too :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 pm

cockroach wrote:I have always considered it a fun challenge to try and get decent sounds out of gear that most people think is a load of rubbish.

Getting a good sound of most 1970s solid-state amps certainly would be a challenge, "fizz", "valvestate" and "saturation" circuits notwithstanding.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Jim

I suppose what constitutes a good sound is a very subjective thing- but I have been getting reasonable results with transistor amps since about 1975 up to the present day- before that I always had valve amps as there weren't a lot of tranny jobs about then, and the early ones were really dire. After a long Peavey period I now use a Marshall 50 - made in India of all places..although I still use a Peavey bass amp.

Back in the mid-late '70's , just like Japanese guitars, the tranny amps started getting much better in quality and performance, as well as rugged build, value and reliability. I would recommend Peavey (American), and Yamaha, Roland, Ibanez and some other Japanese tranny amps unreservedly to anyone. ( For a number of years I had a great Jap tranny copy of a Mesa Boogie called an Evans)

In my opinion, even the small cheapo tranny practice amps with built-in effects which are available today beat the hell out of the equivalent expensive small valve amps of the past.

Same with guitars- as Hank said in the advert for his signature model Squier Strat some years ago, 'I wish I'd had one of these when I was starting out'!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to Gear