The difference between my two Strats

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The difference between my two Strats

Postby Rosemary » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:54 am

Although I'm very happy with my backup Mexican Strat the only thing I find difficult is the trem bar doesn't have as much room to move my hand as the American Strat and I noticed a few differences in the bridges and trem bars today as in the attached images.

I'll be getting the guitars serviced/set up where necessary by experts as I'm too scared to touch them myself at this stage but wondered if all the Mexican Strat needs is the same tremolo bar as the American Strat to make it more comfortable or if the differences in the bridges mean they need different tremolo bars. I haven't tried it yet. I suppose that's the obvious thing to do :)

Best wishes
Rosemary
my_fender_strats.jpg
(87.21 KiB) Downloaded 8922 times
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: The difference between my two Strats

Postby ecca » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Rosemary, the 2 trem bars are not interchangeable. The USA thread is 10/32NC and the Mex is M5.
The trem height depends a few things. How many springs you have on, what gauge strings, height of bridge etc.
It may need bending up. I don't know how practical you are but the simplest way is to drill a hole 13/64" or 5.1mm in a block of wood to stick the trem in and bend it to how you want it.
Hope it helps.
Ecca
ecca

Postby Rosemary » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks Eric
I wonder if there are different shaped Mexican trem bars available that will fit. Maybe that would be a solution too.
btw your new avatar's moustache reminds me of Dennis Lillee (Aussie cricketer) :)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Stratpicker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 am

The bridge on the USA strat (in the from the top view) looks pretty flat, but the side on view doesnt extend far enough back to judge. Do you have a decent gap (3mm or so) at the back edge to allow you to pull up to a full tone lift? That can be changed by altering the two screws inside the opening at the back of the guitar - maybe leave that to your Tech as doing it also affects other things like string height? One of the downsides is that it will put the trem arm nearer the body but if you work with your Tech and show him exactly how much angle you want on your trem arm when in 'neutral' so to speak, he should be able to bend it to suit your own palm and playing style.
Rosemary - dont be afraid of that scarey moustache - its Ecca's knees that are terrifying!! :shock:
cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Paulps » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 am

Rosemary wrote:Thanks Eric
I wonder if there are different shaped Mexican trem bars available that will fit. Maybe that would be a solution too.
btw your new avatar's moustache reminds me of Dennis Lillee (Aussie cricketer) :)
All the best
Rosemary

I thought he looked more like Merv Hughes (another Aussie cricketer) :twisted:
Paulps

Postby Rosemary » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 am

Hi Ian and Paul
Sorry for the confusion but the sunburst Strat, the American Standard, is perfect. Whatever angle it's at is really good and there's no problem bending up a tone. The Mexican Strat also easily bends up a tone but is just a bit too low for me to move my hand as freely when playing while holding the arm all the time. Maybe that can also be solved by practice. I have so many things to learn and practise (e.g. palm muting just for a start) so I suppose adapting to different trem bar heights is all part of it too.
Thanks for the warning about the knees and yes the mo is more Merv I think :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby neil2726 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:32 am

Ecca's good at bowling cheese cobs!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:36 am

I think Ecca's tip is the way to go. Like he says - Drill a hole in a block of wood and get some mosustachio'd Ozzie bowler to come and bend it up for you bit by bit, trying it each time until you get it how you like it.
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Rosemary » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Ian and Neil
This almost sounds like a solution. :) I played the Mexican Strat a bit after work tonight and it really does feel quite different but then anything I do out of the ordinary throws me at this stage. I even had a go at palm muting and forgot the notes trying to get the technique but I'm sure it will all get easier in time and I'll be able to swap between guitars without a thought. At the moment I'm getting a bit nervous of taking the American Strat to get a service in case they change the feel of it. (Interestingly my husband still prefers the tone of the Mexican Strat.)
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby 51 Relic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi
I have been reading this thread with great interest of course no two guitars will feel the same whilst playing or indeed sound but what i would suggest if you are going to take your USA Strat for a service is seek a guitar tech that will watch you play and listen to your set up requirements before going ahead .

I personally would use the PLECK system as your requirments can be set into the machine ie action height and neck relief for both guitars .I have used this service twice on my Albert Lee and Burns and the action feels very similar ( ok different guitars ) Trem height is a tricky one and the block of wood that Ecca states is the best method done very slowly and measuring from the scratchplate surface to the trem arm tip on both guitars will get you the same height

The Fender web site and indeed the Haynes Stratocaster Manual (£19.00) approx ( I use the Telecaster one ) has a great amount of set -up information listed .One tip i would give is once your guitars are set up stay with the same brand and gauge of string as changing can change and ruin all of the set up carried out :x .Remember a well set up USA or MIM Strat is better than a poorly set up Master Built CS any day of the week

Good luck and remember all guitars are different thats why we need so many !!! :D
51 Relic

Next

Return to Gear