The illustrated catalog of guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The illustrated catalog of guitars

Postby dusty fretz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 pm

My copy arrived this morning (many thanks George!) and is certainly a good read for such meagre money. It's actually an essentially enlarged and expanded re-hash of an earlier book by Nick Freeth, which was called 'Classic Guitars'. Published in 2007 and described as an 'identification and price guide', this showed dollar values for all instruments. Less of the latter were included, although many shots are identical to those used in 'The Illustrated Catalog', as is the introduction. However, 'Classic Guitars' sold for $20, which makes this more recent and bigger book a much better buy at a mere £2.99.
dusty fretz

Postby cockroach » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Paul,

I still think that one produced by Tony and you takes some beating!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby scotocaster » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi George, wonder if this is similar to the one i have, bought it in 2001 it's called "The Illustrated Directory of Guitars" edited by Ray Bonds. It has 480 real nice colored pages of guitars. Have a great day. Scott
scotocaster

Postby dusty fretz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm

The book Scott refers to, 'The Illustrated Directory Of Guitars', is similar in terms of presentation, albeit in a slimmer but thicker form. It accordingly covers a wider assortment of instruments and the pictures used are different to those employed in the other books already mentioned.

Thanks for your kind comments John. I assume you're referring to 'The Ultimate Guitar Book', which was the first full-colour work on the guitar. Since then there's been an almost innumerable quantity of books covering all aspects of the instrument, many of which have helped keep me gainfully employed, I'm glad to say.

Things are significantly leaner in these economically stretched times and hard copy isn't as desirable as it used to be. The internet now seems to be first choice for anyone seeking answers or enlightenment, regardless of the fact that it's a real mine of misinformation! Still, I'm just about to start on the story of Squier, as the brand first appeared here 28 years ago, so it's overdue for some literary recognition.
dusty fretz

Previous

Return to Gear