gibson sg

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: gibson sg

Postby kipper » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:14 pm

thanks for your help on this. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby JimN » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Kipper / Peter,

If you look directly above Ecca's left hand in the photo above, you see two cherry SGs hanging from the upper rack. The one to the left is a reissue of the original early 1960s "SG Standard", all of which were fitted with a Maestro Vibrola tremolo unit. In my opinion, it is the only historically "correct" version of the SG Standard. Note the pickups mounted direct to the body instead of to a scratchplate and the small scratchplate fitted on the treble side of the body. Note also the trapezoid inlays, the same as those on the more familiar Les Paul Standard. Of course, the SG was originally meant, and was sold, as the "Mk II" Les Paul. There is a "TV" version in white next to it on the left.

The guitar next to it to the right is the current version of that guitar, misleadingly sold as the "1961 Reissue". It has most features more or less correct, but the Maestro trem is missing and a "stop bar" tailpiece is fitted instead. No SG was ever made like that in the 1960s. That "Reissue" is a spoiled ship - a reissue of something that was never issued in the first place. However, the difference in price between that one and the correct one next to it is absolutely astounding - the "61 Reissue" can be bought for £1250 - £1300, but the correct version costs at least £1000 more!

In the mid-sixties, the original SG range was "face-lifted", and all models were fitted with what you could call Fender-style scratchplates with the pickups suspended from them rather than being securely fixed to the body. The production style has varied a little over the intervening four and a half years, but the "fixed to the scratchplate" method still holds sway, as you can see on the SG Standard that Ecca bought in the USA.

For playing Shads music, and as Ecca implies with his references to the dirty tone of his SG, Gibson humbuckers cannot be recommended. You need pickups with less output (á la Fender) and preferably with a single-coil construction which gives a more focused, clean and (where required) metallic tone. For that reason, If you are enamoured of the SG (a seductive guitar, no doubt about it), I'd say that you should look at the real SG Special model. Current SG Specials have humbuckers - and that is not, I suggest, what you need. The original SG Special was fitted with two P90s (single-coils). They tend to be expensive on the s/h market (as do all vintage guitars these days), but they are at least available new - as the recent "SG Classic" reissue. Some SG Specials were fitted with the short Maestro Vibrola. A Special with P90s and a Maestro is probably the nearest thing to a Fender that Gibson did at the time. Not really like a Stratocaster, but near enough - perhaps - to a Jazzmaster or Jaguar. And, of course, consrtruction methods vary, as with the SG Standard (direct pickup fixing / scratchplate mounting).

But... you're talking a lot of money here - probably up around the £1800-2000 mark.

Another way to do it would be to buy a secondhand Ecca-style SG Standard (like the one he holds in the picture) and retro-fit P90 pickups in humbucker-sized cases (there are loads of good ones to choose from) and mayber either a Stetsbar or Bigsby trem. Perhaps even a Maestro unit or good copy/replica (they are about).

On the other hand, it would be a lot less messing about to buy a Fender...

My 2p-worth.

JN
Last edited by JimN on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby kipper » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:51 pm

jim thanks for that intresting and very helpfull reply it will really help me in what i am looking for. peter
kipper

Postby cockroach » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Just one other thing...

This model Gibson is NOT virtually indestructible like a bolt-on neck Fender type guitar...the neck is fairly slim and shallow in profile, and far weaker structurally at the neck/body join - you can't let it fall over, or get knocked over or knocked off a guitar stand accidentally etc like a Strat or Tele type guitar, without some risk of serious damage involved!

Just a thought if you get one and take it out from home to a gig, jam, Shads club etc....
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby kipper » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:12 pm

thought i`d seen a few with neck repairs on ebay was wondering why? thanks peter
kipper

Postby ecca » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:01 pm

In saying that the SG was a dirty guitar, in point of fact if you turned the volumes down at the guitar it was capable of some lovely, sweet tones.
ecca

Postby Rosemary » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Eric
We loved your 'Cruel Sea' video. Really fab! Have watched it several times! :)
bye for now
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby kipper » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:13 pm

what about the new raw power sg`s any good. peter
kipper

Postby almano » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Kipper/Peter

As Jim says in post #12, the original ‘first’ version of the SG (Les Pauls at the start) had the Maestro tremolo. The very first version had an odd form of ‘sideways’ trem arm which operated through weird linkages and gears – apparently it was rather unreliable, so got dropped quite quickly.

The next version (or revision) in 1963 used the more reliable (and simpler) Lyre Maestro version, which is the one that is available in today’s repro market.

The SG’s an excellent guitar and plays well. The “SG Standard Reissue” is spot on and is completely visually identical to my own 1963 original – here’s a photo of that ‘63 SG to compare with the one on the Gibson web site:

Here’s also a link to that SG Reissue on the Gibson site: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue-VOS.aspx

Epiphone do a much cheaper reissue – but it doesn’t include the Maestro on their web site. Here’s a link to their closest looking version: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=16

I don’t know what the current value of a 1963 original would be now, but I assume it’s probably a fair bit more than the Reissue – but I rather bet the Reissue will stand up to the rigours of gigging much better than an old somewhat delicate and ancient one will ever do. Besides, the reissue will have the all important volute on the head stock – the originals didn’t have that luxury – hence the high amount of broken heads! Luckily my ‘non-volute’ SG is still intact and in working order – hopefully it’ll stay that way for a good time yet!

Cheers,

Alan.
almano

Postby kipper » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:34 pm

thanks for the link and information, very intresting about the heads. peter
kipper

Previous

Return to Gear