Roadworn...........??

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Roadworn...........??

Postby noelford » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 am

Like I said, I've nothing against a guitar looking a bit battered from years of use, it's paying a premium to have a new guitar look like that that baffles me. I don't keep any of my guitars wrapped in cotton wool and none of them sees the inside of a case unless I'm taking them somewhere.
Last edited by noelford on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noelford

Postby Didier » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:32 am

shadowhunters wrote:Hi it's Sam here, I have one question about roadworn guitars....... Why would you do this to your guitar?? Say you have a beautiful Strat Say a lovely 2-tone sun burst, then why would you go and get a (a proffesional) to kick it around in the street :? I would be far happier with a nice clean guitar with nice paintwork and trying to keep it that way than to get the paint scratched off it. Fare enough you might bang it the odd time and get a we dent or scratch but to see the likes of Rory Gallaghers strat makes me sad.

I am asking is any one else on my side?

Regards Sam.

I wish my "road worn" car could have a higher value, as do "road worn" guitars ! ;)

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby kipper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby 51 Relic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi after reading the following i thought i would reply .About a year ago i needed a good working /telecaster and headed of to Coda Music in Stevenage to have a look .I thought about and tried the following guitars

Master Built 52 Nocaster Heavy Relic x1
NOS 51 Nocaster x2
Relic 51 Nocaster x1
Coset Classic 51 Nocaster x1
Road Worn Telecaster 50s ( tried but looked awfull )

The winner :o The 51 Relic Custom shop ,why ? it was the best playing and sounding guitar out of all of the above and still is my best grab and go guitar ,you even get two cases !! :lol:

Cheers Nigel :D
51 Relic

Postby almano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:17 pm

It’s odd they don’t do “road worn” amps and speaker cabs as well – after all, they seem to come in for a fair bit of bashing around when being manhandled in and out of vans/trucks and onto and off from stages and venues. I wonder if some enterprising manufacturer will also come up with this one? That’s if they haven’t already done so by now of course!

To be honest, I adopt the same approach as Noel does, I only stick one of my guitars in a case if I’m taking it somewhere – other than that they just sit around propped against walls or reclining in chairs. There’s certainly no cotton wool treatment with them – they are there to pick up and plonk away on whenever the mood takes – as long of course, as no family member (young or old) sits on the blighter and unintentionally makes the guitar look truly road worn (or should it be ‘broken’?)

Fair wear and tear is more than acceptable, but personally I wouldn’t buy one of those road worn guitars myself – I would prefer to wear it in naturally – with all its knocks and bumps intact just as they occur. If purchasers like these road worn instruments, that’s their choice and good luck to ‘em – but I prefer to buy a new instrument looking like it is a new instrument. Personal choice perhaps, but it’s this old twerp’s preference I’m afraid!

Cheers,

Alan.
almano

Postby kipper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:56 pm

when you think about buying a reliced guitar is no different to buying a black one green one pink one its just another colour or finish. peter
kipper

Postby noelford » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Talking of 'road-worn' cars, some of you may remember, years ago, lots of drivers put adhesive bullet hole stickers on their car windows. Presumably the idea was to suggest that the driver was a secret agent or somesuch, living a life of great danger. The effect was somewhat diminished when these stickers were applied to a Reliant Robin! Perhaps the original idea of 'road-worn' guitars, from the manufacturers' point of view, was to allow buyers to, Walter Mitty-like, look like well-travelled guitar heroes.
noelford

Postby kipper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:09 pm

good point same could be said about buying a fiesta (not a pink or hot rod red) red stratocaster that mimics hank marvin ;) or any other signiture guitar. why are there copy cat groups who mimic whatever band including the shadows :o so many questions and so few answers. :roll: peter
kipper

Postby Rosemary » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:27 am

When we went to the guitar show where I bought my first ever Strat, I tried quite a few but the two I liked best were the American Standard and the white Roadworn and bought the former simply because it looked shiny and new. It made the decision easier in the end.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby 51 Relic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 am

almano wrote:It’s odd they don’t do “road worn” amps and speaker cabs as well – after all, they seem to come in for a fair bit of bashing around when being manhandled in and out of vans/trucks and onto and off from stages and venues. I wonder if some enterprising manufacturer will also come up with this one? That’s if they haven’t already done so by now of course! Yes the fender custom shop does produce relic amps :D To be honest, I adopt the same approach as Noel does, I only stick one of my guitars in a case if I’m taking it somewhere – other than that they just sit around propped against walls or reclining in chairs. There’s certainly no cotton wool treatment with them – they are there to pick up and plonk away on whenever the mood takes – as long of course, as no family member (young or old) sits on the blighter and unintentionally makes the guitar look truly road worn (or should it be ‘broken’?)

Fair wear and tear is more than acceptable, but personally I wouldn’t buy one of those road worn guitars myself – I would prefer to wear it in naturally – with all its knocks and bumps intact just as they occur. If purchasers like these road worn instruments, that’s their choice and good luck to ‘em – but I prefer to buy a new instrument looking like it is a new instrument. Personal choice perhaps, but it’s this old twerp’s preference I’m afraid!

Cheers,

Alan.
51 Relic

PreviousNext

Return to Gear