Roadworn...........??

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Roadworn...........??

Postby shadowhunters » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi it's Sam here, I have one question about roadworn guitars....... Why would you do this to your guitar?? Say you have a beautiful Strat Say a lovely 2-tone sun burst, then why would you go and get a (a proffesional) to kick it around in the street :? I would be far happier with a nice clean guitar with nice paintwork and trying to keep it that way than to get the paint scratched off it. Fare enough you might bang it the odd time and get a we dent or scratch but to see the likes of Rory Gallaghers strat makes me sad.

I am asking is any one else on my side?

Regards Sam.
shadowhunters

Re: Roadworn...........??

Postby noelford » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:31 pm

I don't have a problem with guitars which show genuine wear and tear from years of use, but I can't get my head around why anyone would want (and pay a lot of money for) a new guitar to look like that!
noelford

Postby keithmantle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 pm

And you pay £££££'s more for it !!!, send them to me I'll give them a roadworn patina for half the price!!
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby shadowhunters » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51 pm

I agree, very much so, that is another reason you have to pay them to trail your guitar behind a car or play football with it!, Thanks for that guys

Regards Sam.
shadowhunters

Postby cockroach » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 pm

In a nutshell- successful marketing bullshXt aimed at impressionable people with more money than sense, who somehow think that by using one they will look like a hardened professional musician who hasbeen 'on the road' and (probably) playin' 'da blooze' for years, even though they are just dreamin'....
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby John Haldane » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:55 pm

HI
I just can not see any point in road worn guitars, :? it took me a lot of years before I could aquire my lifelong dream a brand new shiny Strat, and I take very, very good care of it, my dear Wife wants to know why I dont take care of everything else in the house in the same way, to me it,s like a work of art.
I wonder if the people who buy these guitars would do the same to a nice new shiny car, I can see them kicking the doors, and smashing the windows with an hammer :lol:
John H
John Haldane

Postby almano » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 pm

I agree, this roadworn thing is totally a marketing ploy. Perhaps if those guitars managed to retain the DNA and spirit of the famous owner they are supposed to replicate then they might merit something (I don't know what - but I suppose a reborn Hendrix could be an interesting addition to the guitar world!) - but a deliberately bashed up guitar for no particular reason other than attempting to look like you've been on the circuit for donkey's years is ridiculous.

A couple of my guitars are nearing fifty years old now, but other than what time and nature does to them, they are still in very good shape.

I could never work out where all that heavy varnish wear on these road worn things is supposed to have occured - perhaps the players were meant to have worn emery cloth on their hands, arms and sleeves!

Oh well, there's no accounting for taste is there?

Cheers,

Alan.
almano

Postby kipper » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 pm

your right there is no accounting for taste if you like it looking shiny and new thats ok no harm done. :) get a relic and thats ok :o but then you get you guys start going on about you dont understand it :shock: . theres`s nothing to understand, thats how some people like there guitars. :D the plus side with a relic finished guitar is that you dont have to worry about knocking it or keeping it locked in a case so it dont get any marks on it, now thats something i dont understand. but hey each to is own :mrgreen: i wont knock you for it. live and let live. play your guitar and enjoy it but pleaase get it out of the case to do that first. :D :D :D :D rant over peter :D :D
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby steve.t » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:03 pm

hi,i must admit to not having seen a nice looking roadworn model thats took my eye anyhow. i bought the dave gilmour signature strat, but i opted for the n.o.s rather than the relic model. i think there`s a francis rossi telecaster signature that comes with the drilled hole in the body that he did one bored or drunken night. i cant see the point in it all really unless it was guitar the artist has actually owned,then you`d be talking megga bucks.
steve.
steve.t

Full Real Name: stephen taylor

Postby kipper » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 pm

the thing i dislike about most modern stratocaster or whatever is the amount of finish they put on them. i dont know how many layers there is what with primer undercoat top coat then more varnis. i juat brought a new fender neck and the amount of varnish is not true. and on making inquires about stripng it back to wood have been told there is no product that can strip it. at least with the old nitro it could age over time. but modern ones will never change and allways look new. if thats what is wanted then ok. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Next

Return to Gear